A Thousand Sparkling Pink Diamonds Part 1

The sky was resplendent in hues of azure, shining like a cloudy blue realm unmarred by imperfection. The clouds were tinged in soft pastel tones, blush pink blending with cream white. There was no sun, only the light of the Morningstar. It was neither day nor night, but a lost time in between, a beautiful warm dawn alongside a cool dusk. There was no ground, only infinite sky.

Mihira loved it, loved the colours that enraptured her heart and gave wind to her wings. There are wings on her, but she could not tell what colour they are. White as a swan? Light green, pastel pink, pale blue? The colours of the rainbow? They were not visible, and no matter how much she willed it, they never appeared. At least the world around her was colourful, as always. She had this dream numerous times, and each time added more colour and details to the airy world. Mihira always embraced the dream and never questioned why it came to her. Enjoy the beauty and wonder of the world, that was what she told herself.

As she soared above the clouds, Mihira spotted a glimpse of gleaming towers reflecting the sky around them. The towers were mounted on floating cumulus clouds, and she smelled the fruity scent of raspberries and rose petals on the wind. On her descent, she found the towers were connected by staircases made of clouds to a circular building attached to a courtyard. After flying down, she found a copper gate with carvings of little cherubs and swans and a swinging scale on top of it all. Something in her wanted to open it, to see the wonders that lay within the courtyard. She reached for the keyhole and-

"Mihira, wake up!"

Mihira jolted awake, looking for her friend. The classroom was empty, except for Kaori, who was still shaking Mihira's shoulder, as well as some small weeds growing through the cracks.

"Kaori, why are you still shaking me? I-I'm awake now!" Mihira managed to say a few words before being shaken again.

"Oh, you're awake!" Kaori stopped shaking Mihira's shoulder. "Why are you falling asleep in an abandoned classroom again? There are other places to fall asleep in, like your bedroom, in an actual classroom, on someone's shoulder..."

"Ah Kaori, the best place to fall asleep is on your lover's lap or shoulder!" Mihira exclaimed. "I know right now I am sleeping in our old classroom, but one day I will find the one to rest upon." She looked around her old elementary school classroom and thought about the times she had fun with her classmates or that time she napped in the corner just before school, or that time she tried to make balloons for everyone. She wished her memories were as eternal as her daydreams.

The school was closed, like most elementary schools in the country. There weren't enough children being born to justify keeping them open, or that was what the government stated. Too many Calamities have frightened the country, or so she heard. Mihira stood up and ran her hands over the grasses poking through the wood, and the little flowers too. The wind mourned alongside her, a low keening noise in the background.

"The world is changing, isn't it?" She said. "It was only yesterday that we passed the tests for high school, right?"

Kaori chuckled. "That was last year, Mihira, and weren't you and Kaede worried about if you passed or not?"

"Yes! I didn't study and had to cram in one week, and Kaede had forgotten when the exam was taking place, so we had to cram together! We still passed somehow!" She laughed along with Kaori, soaking in moments that will never come again. "I can always travel to Nagasaki, but I'll miss her."

"You and me both." Kaori contemplated the moment. "Hina is also moving to Canada too. After the break ends, we will be the only ones left."

Mihira nodded. "That's why we have to make this count." She held up a medium-sized box. "When is the gift exchange again?"