Behind Terracotta Walls, The Finest Green Rose Stands Resolute Part 2

Someone was reaching for her. Wings filled her vision.

"One day...one day, I will judge everyone."

There was a towering figure who held the four winds in the palm of her right hand and a magnificent copper scale in her left. She struggled to keep her eyes open.

"By their oaths, by their actions, all shall be weighed." The corner of the figure's mouth upturned. "So where do you stand?" She held up her scales. "Your mortal impressions in exchange for the Key to the Eleventh Gate."

She wanted to protest but was struck by a forceful gale.

"A fair exchange." The figure kissed her gently on the forehead. "A kiss for your memories."

She wanted more of that sweet breeze, but she was falling, falling...

"Legionnaires of the Legio VI Victrix! We march on Helios' rising!"

She blinked. Where was she? Who was she? "Excuse me, what's going on?"

Whoever was yelling out the orders immediately pulled her close, close enough that she could smell the olive oil and wine on his breath. "Did you not hear me, Legionnaire Canis?! Once the Sun has risen, we are marching on the unwashed barbarians! The two raiding parties were a distraction and they were gathering north of here! So listen to my orders and get dressed!" With that, he shoved her back into the wall, causing her to wince.

She looked down at herself. All she was wearing was a wool spun shift dyed a dark orange-brown and some well-maintained sandals. Everyone around her was frantically putting on lorica segmentata and galea, so she grabbed the closest silver galea and stuck it on her head. For some reason, the top of her head hurt once the cold metal touched it like there were supposed to be ears on her head. Ignoring the pain, she stripped quickly, letting the shift drift onto the floor. She...was surprised at how flat her chest was. She wasn't sure, but she instinctively assumed she always had breasts. Her chest was as flat as the roads of Rome. It was an interesting observation, but—

"Hurry up!"

How was she supposed to put this on?! Thoughts migrated to her head.

Pick it up over your head, then slip your left hand through the left aperture, and then your right hand will follow. Lace-up the back, and all will follow smoothly.

She followed the instructions in her head. Once she was finished, she felt considerable pain in her lower back. Did she do something wrong? No, something was there. She loosened the segmented armour and felt the pain go away. She did the same with the galea, freeing herself from the low-level aching.

"What are you doing?!"

She straightened up. "Sir!" Wait, sir?

The man in front of her was equally as confused by her choice of words. "That armour was supposed to protect you! What are you going to do when they stab you from behind and your guts spill out onto the field? And you are to address me as Centurion Servius Varius Nerva!"

She froze for a moment. "Ave Centurion Servius!"

"Ave Legionnaire Canis." He looked her in the face. "You've been at this post for eleven months."

She nodded. She didn't know. "Why am I here?"

"You are here to be trained as a proper legionnaire of the Legio VI Victrix. You, Legionnaire Canis, were sent from Helvetica with a note that you are willful and disobedient. You are growing into the ideal of a legionnaire, but you have certain things to learn. For example, when I say there is a proper way to wear lorica segmentata, there is only one way to wear it!" He was yelling again.