The Bay Road and the Teal River Converge Upon Pink and Azure Plains Part 5

"You summoned me here. Explain your reasons, or this is a waste of my time."

The woman looked at her. "Sovereign, I called you for the annual status report. It's about the defences. The Tenth Gate had sustained heavy damages. They're becoming more coordinated, almost like how we plan our counter-offensives. The Servant's shields and vines help repair them, but I need further assistance."

"Then explain how you need this help."

The woman tilted her golden mask. "Well, if I wanted some strategies, I think I could use the Third Gate for some—"

"Why would you think I would be able to intercede with the General of the Third Gate?"

The sound of her booming voice terrified the woman. "The Sage can't, or won't, she wouldn't say. Since we were close, I thought maybe you could be helpful."

"You're better off petitioning the Eleventh House. Now leave."

Yǔfēi woke up to darkness and the soft sonata of a maestro. The Snake looked different, with fully human legs and what looked like a robe covering her. It was hard to see, with all of the blinds and the curtains closed.

"...Mihira...Tenhou Mihira." The last she had seen of her, the girl had landed on her stomach after being struck by a stray lightning bolt.

"She's safe⁓" The monotone voice was oddly comforting. "A few broken bones, broken glasses, and broken wings. She'll live⁓"

What?! Yǔfēi tried to leap out of the bed, but a stabbing pain forced her onto the comfort of the pillows. It was hard to breathe, and every breath was painful and stabbed at her stomach.

"You have a few broken ribs. You'll also live, hmm. Don't worry about Kun Mihira, she's in good hands. You don't need to worry at all⁓"

The soft melody resumed playing, letting off some of the burden off of Yǔfēi's chest.

"Is...Urantsog..."

"Oh, she's sleeping peacefully⁓ Don't worry, just relax."

"And...Ménmén..."

"He's safe with Náa Urantsog."

"Where..." It was hard to speak now.

"At Kashgar, in a hospital. I'm surprised they agreed to treat you." The girl stopped playing. "Do you remember this region's history?"

Kashgar...located in Xinjiang...oh. She nodded.

"So you do know." The violin playing picked up in tempo. "People act differently when faced with those they've long considered their adversaries."

Her voice sounded familiar, now that Yǔfēi thought about it. There was a notepad left on the table. She grabbed it and scribbled down quickly as her body would let her. Ripping off the note, she reached out for the girl to take it.

The girl gingerly took it, folded it, and started playing a different melody. A more familiar one, from when Yǔfēi had been invited to attend a concert two years ago as a reward for her hard work. She had been sitting in a box, yet when the performance started, all she could think about was the heart that had been poured into every finely crafted note. The star of that concert had been the Orchid of Chiang Mai, she recalled, a petite young girl who was named Arinya Sinaka.

Arinya Sinaka must have noticed her since the tempo slowed down. Yǔfēi scribbled down some characters and passed them to her. The girl unfolded it. Note to self: she read quickly.