➴75

"You gonna attach to me one day," Daryl comments as I hop onto the back of his bike.

"Aw, Uncle Daryl, I love you, too," I tease, poking his back.

"You got enough horses at Hilltop. Yet, you gotta be on my bike."

"I'm not bringing my baby into the city, the hell is wrong with you?"

Daryl scoffs and begins down the road after the wagon.

"Besides, the bike is faster in case shit gets real."

"I thought it was 'cause we ain't see each other here lately."

"Well, maybe if you weren't in that shitty Sanctuary.."

"You know that ain't my choice."

I rest my chin on Daryl's shoulder and huff. I look to where Rick and Michonne were leading in the front and scowl.

"That just makes it worse," I mutter.

Daryl sighs like he agreed.

"How come none of those Savior jackasses are here? This is an important run. We're bringing stuff back to them."

"No one volunteered because of working on getting things back in order."

"Or, they just want us to do their running for them. Looks like nothing has changed, huh?"

Gabriel rides over to us on the back of his horse. Daryl elbows me gently and I relent his unspoken request.

I fake a smile as Gabriel passes by to catch up to Alden, Marco, and Ken.

"How did they get Rosita and Gabe on their side?" I question Daryl. "They're still living in Alexandria. Even after what asshole did to Abraham, how can she stay there?"

"You were close to Rosita, too."

Move my head to rest on his back like a pillow. I look down at my hands that still had Sasha's gloves adorning them.

"She was ready to die as long as Negan did. She hated what happened to Sasha, and yet.." I grumble. "I don't get it."

"There's still a lot of people in Alexandria," Daryl notes.

"Yeah, but.. Rosita and Abraham. Aaron was there at the lineup and he lost Eric during the war."

"Maybe they just have hope in Alexandria."

I scoff to myself. I would, too.. If Rick and Michonne weren't in charge.

"Carl would be a respected leader," I mumble, mostly to myself. "They're just using what happened as an excuse."

I feel Daryl's back tense up a little.

The rest of the ride is in silence.

We make it to the state building after awhile. I hop off Daryl's bike and he pats my back as I walk away.

"You three," mom points to Alden, Marco, and Ken. "Patrol outside so no walkers gain on us. You see anything, inform us on the relay."

The men relent to her request with ease.

"And you.." she points at me. "You're with me and Carol."

I do a little salute. Mom laughs and interlocks our arms. We walk up the steps where the others are with smiles.

Getting inside didn't take long. Then, the large group dispersed in different ways. Mom and I walk up the staircase inside, still holding onto one another as Carol follows us.

"We melted down two units so far that you found. Earl is gonna use those materials to make the plows," mom informs.

"I was thinking about taking a team out to that post office off Brooklyn Drive. You think we could form a plan?" I ask.