➴113

"Nice work on holding the fort down, Bean," I compliment, patting Hershel's head as we walk.

"I told those people in the white suits that they weren't allowed inside until Mom got back, so they're setting up stuff out there," he explains. "Diane, Lydia, and Elijah went to get cleaned up because those people brought some water."

I look over to the camp that the Commonwealth people were setting up. Mom, Daryl, and some others went hunting with Pamela and the rest so she sent me back home to make sure things were safe here.

"I haven't seen this many people in a long time," Hershel notes. "It's weird."

"It is," I agree.

I gnaw on the inside of my lip as Hershel and I watch the people continue working.

"Do you think Mom is gonna come back with food?" Hershel wonders, kicking a rock.

"Doesn't she always?"

Hershel smiles. "Yeah.. She always finds a way."

"Ellie, right?" that Sebastian guy asks, walking over with a girl.

Great.

"I think our previous introduction was cut short. I'm Sebastian and this is Kayla," he continues.

"This is my sister, Ellie!" Hershel introduces. "She's like.. the Princess of Hilltop. our Mom is the Queen."

"We have a King and Queen, bud. It ain't us," I mutter under my breath.

I still never saw Ezekiel. I hope Carol is okay. Since Daryl is here, I'll ask him if things went okay after I left.

"I'm the Governor's son," Sebastian explains. "Kayla is my girlfriend."

My brain short circuits. "You.. what?"

"The Governor's son," Sebastian repeats.

Governor?

Bad man.

The start of it all.

"Hershel, go play with Elijah for a little," I urge.

"Huh?"

"Go play with Elijah."

My eyes lock on Sebastian and Hershel takes off inside the gates.

"Is everything all right?" Sebastian asks.

I try to find words.

He was talking about someone else, right?

How could I be sure?

Governor.

The past comes back in full force.

"Excuse me, Ellie-"

It was like the man dressed as a walker all over again. I blacked out and wasn't in control of my physical movements.

"Ellie!" Daryl shouts. "Ellie, no!"

I saw the Governor in the man that I punched square in the face and pulled my knife on.

When I come to, Daryl has his arm around my shoulders from behind and I'm towering over the man I didn't know.

"This is Lance Hornsby," Daryl helps out. "He's with Pamela."

I grab Daryl's arm with my free hand and try to take a breath in.

"You're all right," Daryl coaxes me down.

I blink a few times and the eyepatch in my mind fades, the man below me only with a bloodied nose and two eyes.

I gasp in a breath and Daryl eases me to stand upright.