➴121

With Marco's call of 'they're here', we all set into motion.

"Al," I say, grabbing Alden's jacket sleeve. "The truck."

"What about it?" he wonders.

"They probably saw tracks. We're done for if they know we have a working vehicle."

Alden curses under his breath and we rush over to the spot it was parked.

"I pulled the ignition cable," I tell him.

"Too obvious.. Something else, too."

Alden pokes around under the hood until he decides he's made it so the truck won't start. When we finish, we hurry over to the rest with our weapons holstered, but ready. The gates were already opening and the Commonwealth soldiers were marching in.

Mom walks over with a stoic look on her face.

I lean in close so only she can hear me. "We killed the truck."

"Anna's going to lock the new supplies in the hatch," she whispers back. "And Elijah is securing the emergency exit."

I take a deep breath and straighten my back.

"We're not in the clear. Just keep strong and don't let 'em know," Mom says, pointed and leaderly.

I wring my hands and Alden and I trade a nod before the three of us go in separate directions.

"Ellie?" a soldier asks.

I grimace at the sound of such a familiar voice coming out of a Commonwealth soldier's suit.

"Hey, Daryl," I greet.

He takes the helmet off and sighs. Lance Hornsby catches sight of us and walks over. He looked like he was trying to act stealthy, but I saw him coming with ease.

"You weren't lying, huh?" I try to joke. "Really did get that gig. Is Rosita here, too?"

"Nah.. Aaron and Gabe are, though."

With Lance even closer, I knew he could hear us. I put on an act.

"I'll have to see them. I haven't seen Gabe since I peaced out of Commonwealth."

"Well, Judith sent a gift in case I saw you," he says.

I think about Anna and I's talk about Rick and Michonne. I cringe internally- Judith trying so hard to have a relationship. It hurt knowing the things I said to her parents.

I scoff as Daryl hands me an eyeshadow pallet.

"I tried to tell her that a farm girl like you ain't care. But, she insisted," he says with a faint smile.

"Not little farm girl anymore," I muse with a nostalgic smile.

"Not with these crops," he jokes.

I scoff and raise my eyebrows. "Yeah.. it's a little dry here. It's tough out here. But, we're all right."

"Hey," Lance finally speaks up, acting like now I could see him. "Ellie, right?"

"Chance?" I feign remembrance.

"Lance," he corrects.

"Right," I say and fake a smile. "My bad."

"I figure I try not to sneak up on you this time," he says with a laugh.

My throat goes dry at the reminder of me punching him last he was here.

"Yeah.. you just.." I motion to my own face. "Reminded me of something. Someone."