➴79

"Cute," mom compliments my new boots. "Are those new?"

"Jesus picked 'em up because I've been talking about combat boots for six months," I note. 

"I don't think there's anything in this world that that man can't find."

"A boyfriend."

"Ellie!" mom scolds.

"I've been telling him to find someone for like a year. He just doesn't want someone else in his life because he's busy with us. I told him he need friends outside of us."

"Some people are more independent than others."

I throw my leg over the fence to straddle the top. Mom was inside the pen breaking in and training a new horse that we'd found roaming outside.

"Like you?" I question.

"What's that mean?"

"I'm just saying.. you've got plenty of chances to find someone and screw around."

"I can't 'screw around'."

I make a face. "You know he would want you to be happy."

"I am happy. I have you and Hershel. I'm happy. I don't need a relationship to make myself feel better about myself."

"I think Anna is just afraid to leave me unsupervised," I comment, making mom laugh.

"Ellie, Maggie," Michonne's voice greets.

I look to the side to find her and Jesus walking over.

Well, shit.

"I'm gonna check on Marco," I tell mom.

She nods and I hop off the fence. A pain shoots through my arm, still hurt from the fight with Rosita and Gabriel.

Apparently, Rosita and Gabriel haven't told anyone about what happened. It's been a couple of weeks since it all went down.

"Hey, you," Cyndie greets. "What's up?"

"Not much," I shrug. "Talking shit. What are you up to?"

"I came by to help Enid restock the med supplies."

I roll my shoulder and nod. "I would ask how the bridge is coming along, but.."

"But, you really don't care," she cuts me off with a grin.

"I really, super, mega don't care."

Cyndie laughs and shakes her head. "What's up with your arm?"

"Training," I lie.

"Training.. you? For what? You're like one of the best fighters."

"Gotta stay in tip-top shape, you know?"

"Yeah?" she asks and I nod. "For what?"

"Just.. stuff," I shrug, ignoring the pain. 

Did I give something away?

"We found the body of a Savior in the woods," she reveals.

The sudden statement makes me jump in alarm.

Then, I realize she figured me out.

I look around before grabbing her arm, tugging her into one of the horse stalls.

"Did you tell anyone?" I ask, pointing my finger in her face.

Cyndie shakes her head. "No.. We buried it where no one would find it."

I tilt my head in confusion. "What?"

Cyndie sighs and crosses her arms. "He killed Rachel's dad when we fought them before."