Book One: [Soldier]

Soldier
The 100

VIVIENNE'S FEET carried her through the hallways of The Ark,her footsteps echoing as she ran with her long hair flowing behind her despite the hair tie that was permanently kept on her wrist

Gradually, her father's back came into view and she sped up, sprinting past him without a glance. Vivienne's hands slammed wildly against the glass between herself and her mother as she cried out, begging for someone to open the door.

"Please!" She screamed, her vocal chords straining as she faced her father who stood with his arms tight across his chest and his eyes looking anywhere but at her.

"Someone get her out of here!" He suddenly ordered and two guards immediately stepped forward, taking one of Vivienne's twig-like arms each before lifting the young girl off the floor, ignoring her attempts to drop her body from their slightly too tight grips.

"NO!" Vivienne cried out, "Please!" Her legs flailed as the guards walked away with her, unstoppable tears streaming down her rosie cheeks.

To her surprise, Vivienne's body fell from the hands of the guard's and hit the cold, metal floor with a ricocheting thud. As fast as her sore little legs could take her, Vivienne was running back towards her mother- hoping it wasn't too late to say goodbye.

"Mum!" She called out and her father's head followed her as she barged past him and stood opposite her mother in the air lock chamber, panting heavily.

Silently, her mother approached the glass with a solemn expression across her face as she manged to find the strength,amidst the shame, to face her daughter. A quiet tear dropped down her cheek and she shook her head at Vivienne. "Don't fight it. It's okay." She repeated the words she'd said earlier in their apartment before being dragged away.

Vivienne slowly placed her tiny palm against the glass that separated them and her mother copied, resting her larger hand against her daughter's. Tears flowed uncontrollably down Vivienne's face as she trembled, knowing what was to come and that there was nothing she could do to stop it.

"Take her into custody." Chancellor Jaha's voice ordered this time. "A child shouldn't have to witness this."

Her father's eyes never left the floor,unable to watch the consequences of his actions, burdened so heavily with a death that hadn't happened yet. Vivienne thought he ought to look guilty, or sad. Even put up some sort of fight. But she wasn't surprised that he didn't.

She knew her mother meant very little to her father, but she had know idea her life meant nothing.

______________________________