1.05

Chapter Five:
Pilot
(Part 5

AS the pale flesh of her wrist turned shades of purple and green, Vivienne gently traced her fingertips over where the metal wristband had been only seconds ago

AS the pale flesh of her wrist turned shades of purple and green, Vivienne gently traced her fingertips over where the metal wristband had been only seconds ago. Murphy, who'd been the one to pry it off using his knife formed from scrap metal off the ship, tossed it as far as he could into the long grass.

"Okay," she stood, extending her palm towards Murphy expectantly. "Your turn," she said. Begrudgingly, he placed the knife in her open hand before swapping places so he was now seated on the log, and Vivienne knelt at his feet.

Carefully, she reached out and directed Murphy's forearm to rest on his own thigh. Then, she slowly slipped the tip of the blade between his skin and the metal wristband, pushing up with as much force as she could muster—which wasn't a lot.

The tip of the knife pricked Murphy's wrist, creating a small cut right over one of his veins. He gritted his teeth, refusing to admit that it hurt, even when Vivienne whispered an apology with wide eyes looking up at him through her lashes.

With a resounding snap, the wristband shattered into two pieces, tumbling to the ground beside their boots. Vivienne stayed quiet as she watched a trickle of blood seep from the bruised skin of Murphy's wrist. After a moment's hesitation, she reached for the sleeve of her jacket, sliding it over her chilled hands before applying pressure to the small cut until the bleeding ceased.

A heavy silence hung between them, each debating whether to bring up the first time they actually met or if it was better not to acknowledge it.

Breaking the uncomfortable stillness, Murphy cleared his throat abruptly before rising to his feet. With a casual toss, he discarded the remnants of his metal wristband near where Vivienne's lay, the sound of metal clattering against the darkening forest floor.

•••

DARKNESS enveloped the camp, accompanied by a gentle breeze. The large fire crackled, casting flickering shadows over the gathering of teenagers who sat huddled around it. Amid the quiet conversations and occasional laughter, the once vibrant sounds of Earth had given way to a peaceful symphony of bugs and rustling leaves, creating a stark contrast to the lively atmosphere around the fire.

Vivienne perched uncomfortably on a fallen tree, delicately running her fingers through Charlotte's tangled hair. Carefully dividing the hair into three sections, she wove them together into a neat braid, pulling it snugly away from Charlotte's face. With the final twist of a hair tie, Vivienne released a sigh of satisfaction, her hands settling gently on Charlotte's shoulders, where she traced soothing circles with her thumbs.

Vivienne's voice, soft as a whisper, enveloped them both in a bubble of their own. "Are you all right?" she asked, her concern evident in her tone.

Charlotte nodded, her expression tinged with apprehension. "I'm just worried. What if I have another nightmare?" she confided, turning to face Vivienne.