1.10

Chapter Ten:
Earth Skills
(Part 4)

FEELING the anxious nerves weighing heavy on the group, Vivienne's gaze floated nervously around the dense woods, aware of the possibility that whoever bound Jasper might still be lurking nearby, waiting for an opportune moment to strike again

Finn and Murphy flanked Jasper, their attention focused on loosening the binds around his ankles and wrists. Yet, Vivienne's impatience grew with each passing moment, her eagerness to return to the safety of their camp growing as the nervous pit in her stomach deepened.

Abruptly, a deep growl reverberated through the bushes surrounding the tree, causing everyone to snap their attention toward the source. "What the hell was that?" Murphy's voice trembled with worry as he asked the question on everyone's mind.

"Grounders?" Wells wondered aloud as Bellamy peered around the large tree, narrowing his eyes as he scanned the bushes for any signs of movement.

"Bellamy," Vivienne called after him, her voice hushed, as the eldest boy cautiously advanced a few steps toward the shrubbery where the noise had originated.

Murphy and Finn had halted their efforts to untie Jasper, their attention now fully focused on the potential threat lurking in the woods. Though, John Murphy's focus shifted between the bushes and Vivienne, who trailed carefully behind Bellamy.

"Bellamy," she called again, this time slightly louder, as she approached him. It was then that she saw it. Emerging from the trees, concealed by the thick foliage, was a large, black cat. Its sleek form moved stealthily, almost vanishing into the undergrowth again, sending a shiver down Vivienne's spine and causing her breath to catch in her throat.

"Bellamy, gun!" Clarke shouted just as the beast broke into a sprint towards him and Vivienne, licking its lips in hunger.  Bellamy's hand darted to his waistband, going for the gun he kept holstered there, only to find it missing. Vivienne's gaze followed his, landing on his empty waistband and the two shared a fearful look of dread between them.

Suddenly, a gunshot went off and then another, as Wells repeatedly fired the gun, he'd snatched from Bellamy, at the beast running circles around them. Vivienne turned erratically, trying to keep track of the animal as adrenaline ran hot through her veins and her chest tightened when she lost sight of it.

Finally, it went quiet- the growls ceased, and Wells lowered the gun. With a sense of relief, Vivienne began to relax but, just as she did, the animal lunged through the air towards them. Instinctively, Bellamy pushed his arm across Vivienne's chest, shielding her body with his own as two more shots rang off, one after the other, and the animal fell limp at their feet.

As Vivienne stared down at the dying animal sprawled before her, her breaths came in heavy, ragged pants. In that moment, the wounded beast seemed awfully similar to the boy who died at her feet during landing, flooding her mind with haunting memories.

The group remained frozen, still in shock over the wild animal, while Murphy oddly felt a sense of relief wash over him as his eyes found Vivienne again, alive and in one piece. Meanwhile, Clarke stared up at Wells, the gun still tightly gripped in his hands.

"Now she sees you," Bellamy's voice cut through the tense silence, his cold gaze fixed on the dark-skinned boy.

•••

AN evening chill had swarmed the forest by the time the group had returned to camp, lugging the lifeless body of the black cat and a weak Jasper Jordan was cradled in the arms of Finn and Wells.

"They're back!" A boy called throughout the tranquil camp the second the group walked through the makeshift entrance and they were immediately welcomed by a concerned Monty and Octavia.

"Is he..." Monty's question trailed off, his gaze fixed on the barely breathing figure of his best friend being carried into the dropship.

Holding back the fallen parachute, that acted as a curtain over the open doorway, Clarke glanced at Monty."He's alive," she reassured,allowing Finn and Wells to carefully maneuver Jasper inside.

Then, as Vivienne stepped inside the camp and patiently awaited Bellamy, Charlotte pushed through the gathering crowd. "Vivienne!" She shouted, not halting until her small body was wrapped tightly in Vivienne's arms. Vivienne laughed softly as she buried her nose in Charlotte's hair, savoring the earthy scent that clung to it.

Bellamy and Murphy entered behind them, dropping the dead animal onto the ground, its lifeless form sprawled out for all to see. As they did, Murphy observed Vivienne release Charlotte, keeping a protective arm draped over her shoulders, pulling the young girl close to her side. A sense of longing he didn't quite understand washed over him.

Maybe it was the desire for someone to care for him in that way, to prioritize his needs over their own. Whatever the reason, witnessing Vivienne's protectiveness toward Charlotte ignited a twinge of jealousy within him.

"Who's hungry?!" Bellamy's confident call echoed through the camp, pulling Murphy from his thoughts and eliciting cheers from the crowd as more hungry teenagers gathered around.

As the evening progressed, a growing number of hungry kids lined up for food, each receiving a portion only after removing their wristband. Most complied, feeling the effects of hunger already taking a toll and preferring to risk The Ark than to starve.

Vivienne interlinked her fingers with Charlotte's, leading her to the front of the line where Bellamy stood, reveling in his newfound authority whilst Murphy and Mbege efficiently removed wristbands and distributed slices of cooked meat on sticks. When Bellamy caught sight of Vivienne approaching with the younger girl in tow, a smirk curled on his lips.

"Hold on," he said, his hand reaching out and halting the two Johns before they moved on to the next wristband. Vivienne stopped directly in front of Bellamy, and their eyes locked.

"Charlotte's next," Bellamy instructed the two other boys, and Vivienne then led Charlotte toward Murphy, kneeling down with her before taking on the task of removing the girl's wristband herself.

Gently, Vivienne positioned Charlotte's arm on a large rock and slid the blade of her knife between the wristband and Charlotte's skin. With focused determination, she pushed upwards, exerting pressure until the metal finally snapped.

The boys around them cheered as the broken metal was tossed into the fire.

"Here," Bellamy offered, stepping forward with two sticks held in his hands, each adorned with a nicely cooked piece of meat. With his confident smirk still in place, he bent down to be eye level with Charlotte, extending the food to her. After she took it, he stood straight and offered the second stick to Vivienne.

"To freedom."

_________________________________

A/N: idk if I like this one but hay ho