1.11

Chapter Eleven
Earth Kills
(Part 1)

IT was late at night, and half the camp were struggling to fall asleep due to the painful groans coming from Jasper, who was lodged on the second level of the dropship, receiving care from Clarke and Monty

IT was late at night, and half the camp were struggling to fall asleep due to the painful groans coming from Jasper, who was lodged on the second level of the dropship, receiving care from Clarke and Monty. Vivienne had spent most of the evening leaning uncomfortably against a tree, running her fingers gently through Charlotte's hair as the younger girl dozed off in her lap. 

Another loud groan echoed from the ship, causing a few people to shift in their restless sleep. Vivienne carefully lifted Charlotte's head and placed it on the folded-up jacket beside her. Then, being as quiet as possible and expecting to be gone for only a short while, Vivienne headed towards the water collected from the nearby river, stored in a makeshift bowl in the center of camp.

She grabbed a piece of bent metal that formed a cup and scooped it through the clear liquid, filling it just under the brim before making her way to the dropship, stepping over a couple of sleeping bodies on her way.

When Vivienne reached the top floor, Clarke was hunched over Jasper, cleaning the small scratches on his face with a damp rag, while Monty busied himself with some machinery, his brow furrowed in concentration as he tried to figure out a way to contact The Ark.

As Vivienne ascended the last step of the ladder and stood upright, Clarke turned her head in her direction. "I thought you might need some fresh water," Vivienne offered, feeling the weight of Clarke's narrowed gaze on her.

Clarke stood, approaching Vivienne, and her expression quickly softened. "Thanks," she replied warmly, accepting the cup of water before returning to Jasper's side and resuming her care.

Vivienne's gaze drifted over to the boy, her steps carrying her closer while still maintaining a fair distance. "How is he?" she inquired, genuine concern lacing her words as she observed the pale complexion and labored breaths of the injured boy.

"Alive, for now," Clarke responded wearily, rubbing the back of her hand against her aching forehead. "But if I can't find something to clean the infection..." Her voice trailed off, brows furrowing as her blue eyes clouded with worry.

With gentle reassurance, Vivienne placed a comforting hand on the other blonde's shoulder. "If anyone can save him, Clarke, it's you." She told her.

Although grateful for the encouragement and needing it in that moment, the small smile that touched Clarke's lips was strained- barely having the energy to offer one at all.

A silence settled over the room, memories of the girls' shared past lingering in the air. Vivienne released a soft sigh as Clarke turned her attention back to Jasper, preparing to resume her care for the injured boy. Just as Vivienne moved to retreat down the ladder, Clarke's voice halted her.

"Viv!" she called, breaking the silence, her blue eyes now fixed squarely on Vivienne. "I'm glad you're okay."

With a genuine smile gracing her lips, Vivienne descended the ladder, stepping out of the dropship with a newfound lightness washing over her,Clarke's words having lifted a weight from her shoulders.