1.12

Chapter Twelve
Earth Kills
(Part 2)

THE drop ship was far busier than Vivienne had anticipated with people bustling in and out while some were finding spots to settle down on the floor, their faces glistening with beads of sweat, still unaccustomed to the sun and heat outside

Making her way towards the quieter back corner of the ship, Vivienne paused near the ladder leading to the second floor. Clarke's voice, laced with desperation, echoed from above as she tended to Jasper, whose condition seemed to worsen as the infection gradually spread.

Curious, Vivienne paused before hesitantly gripping one step on the ladder and pulling herself upward, clambering to the second floor, like she had the previous night.

"Clarke," Vivienne's voice wavered, carrying a hint of timidity, intimidated by the sharpness of Clarke's tone directed at Monty, who was diligently working on a broken wristband.

Snapping her head in Vivienne's direction, frustration was etched across Clarke's face, clearly not in the mood for any distractions. "What?" she queried sharply, her eyebrow cocked in annoyance.

"You've been up here all morning, maybe you should take a break," Vivienne suggested softly, her tone gentle as she tried not to disrupt Clarke's concentration.

The blonde girl turned her gaze back to Jasper, who lay at her knees, passed out. "I'll rest when Jasper's okay," she said, her voice resolute, her attention fixed on his uneasy breathing.

"I'll watch him, you need to rest," Vivienne insisted, her expression serious.

"What about Bellamy?" Clarke asked with a snarky tone, her eyes boring into Vivienne once more.

"Bellamy's leading a hunt. Until he's back, I can stay here," Vivienne replied calmly, meeting Clarke's gaze.

Staring up at the girl who used to be her best friend, Clarke's expression softened, a pang of regret seeping through her. "Thank you, Viv," she sighed, brushing down her trousers as she rose to her feet.

Passing by Viv, Clarke placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, and the two girls exchanged soft smiles. Vivienne felt her chest swell with a sense of familiarity, feeling a fleeting moment of home as she looked into Clarke's vibrant eyes. For that moment, it was as if nothing had changed, as if the past four years had never happened.

But as Clarke dropped her hand back to her side, reality came crashing back. The weight of their shared history hung heavy in the air, reminding them both that things were no longer the same.

Once Clarke had left, Vivienne moved slowly toward Jasper's weakened body. Kneeling beside him, she picked up the damp rag, its fabric stained with traces of dirt and blood. With tender care, she began to brush it lightly over his skin, her touch cautious as she navigated around his open wound.

After a brief moment spent delicately dabbing the cloth against Jasper's soiled skin, Vivienne allowed her gaze to drift upward, settling on the dark-haired boy with his back turned to her, as he remained deeply focused on the task at hand.

"It's Monty, right?" Viv's voice broke the silence, causing Monty to startle slightly before turning to face her. He nodded in confirmation. "I'm Vivienne," she continued, her tone warm as smile graced her lips, radiating a sense of kindness that eased the tension in the air.

"I know," Monty replied a bit too hastily, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment at his awkward response. "We had Earth Skills together," he added quickly, hoping to salvage the situation and appear more composed.

Laughing lightly, Vivienne appreciated the slight awkwardness from Monty- finding it a refreshing change from the cold and stoic nature of Bellamy.

"I remember," she said, as she recalled the lessons she once dreaded that now she wishes she'd paid more attention to. "In Year 5, you used to raise your hand for every question."

Monty slightly cringed at his past self, feeling a mixture of embarrassment and amusement at the memory. "What are you working on?" She then asked, smoothly changing the subject at his discomfort.

Stuttering slightly, Monty's eyebrows raised in surprise, and he held out the snapped wristband for Vivienne to see. "Hopefully, a way to contact The Ark," he explained, his voice tinged with excitement as he examined the inner workings of the metal clamp. "If I can rewire it correctly, we should be able to use this to send a message straight to them."

Vivienne's smile faltered slightly as he explained, though Monty was so engrossed in his task that he didn't notice and continued with his explanation.

However, Vivienne's mind wandered to thoughts of her father and what it would mean for The 100 if he and the rest of the Council followed them down to Earth. She imagined the consequences: they wouldn't be forgiven for their crimes, and instead, they would spend their lives picking up the Council's mess, tending to their needs, and serving as their staff.

Aside from that, Vivienne couldn't bear the thought of facing Marcus again; the five minutes in her cell were more than enough. She harbored a deep hatred for the man, and the last thing she wanted was for Marcus Kane to find any semblance of peace.

As Jasper groaned loudly again, Vivienne's attention snapped back to him, her eyes widening in concern. Instinctively, she reached out and began running her nimble fingers through his dark, matted hair, gently massaging his scalp in an attempt to soothe him the only way she knew how.

Watching his best friend writhe in pain, Monty's heart sank, and it reflected in his expression. His lively eyes suddenly darkened, and he anxiously gnawed at the inside of his bottom lip. Vivienne noticed the change, her own eyes welling with concern as she observed Monty's panicked state.

"He'll be okay, Monty," she softly reassured, her fingers still gently brushing Jasper's hair. "Clarke can save him."

Monty nodded slowly, his doubts lingering despite Vivienne's reassurance. But he refused to give up on the person he considered his brother, the only family he had down here. Swallowing the painful tightness in his throat, he forced the tears away and turned his back again, resuming his work on the wristband.

Jasper will be okay, Monty told himself. He has to be.