1.15 A daughter's first love

Birla House

Abhimanyu stumbled back, his eyes wide in disbelief, "Wha-what?"

Akshara let out a sad chuckle, "I'm dying, I fainted a few days back in the middle of the park, the doctors couldn't figure out why and they did a few tests, I have a tumor in my brain."

Abhimanyu started gasping, his chest aching with pain. No no this could not be happening, his Akshu was not dying, she could not have a tumor. She was perfect. She could not be leaving him.

"No no, we'll get a second opinion. I'll ask Sir, there are good doctors in Mumbai, infact we'll head there straightaway."
Abhimanyu was hysteric, he couldn't loose her. The last 6 years had passed by because he knew that she was alive, how could she not have been?  He was still breathing, existing - he knew that the minute Akshu died, he would do too, he would follow her in death too.

"Abhimanyu" Akshara said sternly, "I didn't come here for me, I came here for Aaira, because I needed to make sure my daughter didn't feel abandoned." She knew her family would look after Aaira, but she also knew how it felt to grow up without parents,the void that persisted in their absence - she could not let her baby go through that.

"So you're going to clean up yourself, pack a bag and stay with us, we have about a month and you're going to get to know your daughter." Akshara continued, yes she was going to get her affairs in order.

"A month?"
"My surgery is scheduled for then, I will have to undergo some rounds of chemo before that, also my family doesn't know yet. I will tell them but not now Krish Bhaiya's in laws are coming - and let the functions just get over, then I'll tell them myself."

She knew her family, they would drop everything and take care of her, and Krish Bhaiya'a wedding had been all of their dream - so she was going to wait till the functions get over.
The doctors were hopeful, but just incase - she didn't want to miss her chance of attending her brother's wedding.

——————————————————————
Singhania house, Udaipur

Abhimanyu walked into the house, bags in hand only to stumble upon Akshara's entire family seated in front of the tv, hooting and cheering as they watched the cricket match.
All of them were wearing jerseys, munching on snacks,while Vatsal and Aaira imitated the cricketers on screen with their own toy bats.

"Sixer!!!"
"Arrey yaar, this umpire also"
"Di, stop hogging the snacks."
"Waah Aaira, what form - you guys wait and watch our Aaira is going to be the next Mithali Raj."

He realised he was getting a glimpse of his daughter's first 6 years - she had grown up as the apple of their eyes, cocooned with love,warmth and joy. Such a stark difference to his and Akshara's childhood.

Suddenly Aaira's attention fell up on them, "Docman !!" She shouted, running to towards them and Abhimanyu caught her with open arms. He felt his heart start beating again, his scars being soothed, his demons being slayed, he squeezed her gently before setting her on her feet.
This was his daughter, his and Akshara's, a s symbol of their love, their miracle baby, their Abhira's Aaira.

"What are you doing here?" Aaira asked with her hands on her hips, a tiny children's helmet covering her face.

"Woh- " Abhimanyu stuttered.

Aaira quickly chuckled, "You came to see me? My arm is fine now, don't worry. Krish Mamu and Vatsal Mamu didn't let me move even a little bit. I was so boooredddd." Aaira continued rolling her eyes.

Abhimanyu shook his head with laughter, his Aaira was a dramebaaz.

"Aaira baby, let's go to the garden." Akshara picked Aaira up and motioned Abhimanyu to follow her.

They sat on the garden chairs, Aaira facing them. Abhimanyu felt his heart beating faster, what if Aaira hated him ? It was so ironic - he had spent his whole life hating his father and now here he was fearing the same.

"Aaira baby, we need to tell you something. Do you remember how we talked about your father ?"

Aaira nodded her head, her eyes growing somber, "Yes, that he stays in Udaipur and saves people's lives."

Abhimanyu took a deep breath, his tone nervous, "It's me, I'm your father Aaira."

Aaira stared at him in silence, her eyes round with unsaid questions before her gaze shifted to Akshara and she looked down.

"Aaira" Akshara cooed gently, raising her chin up, "Do you want to talk to him alone?" She could feel her daughter's hesitation before Aaira nodded.

"Okay" Akshara said gently, kissing her on the crown of her head. "I'm just inside okay, call me whenever you want." And with that Akshara walked off.

Aaira raised her gaze and their eyes met.

"You can ask me whatever you want, I won't feel bad." Abhimanyu reassured her.

"Mumma told me that there had been an accident in which Neil chachu and Abhir died, that you both were not together when I was born, that you didn't know about me"

Abhimanyu felt a pang in his chest, after everything he had done to her, Akshara had still made sure that his daughter was free to make her own opinion about him.

"I have made a lot of mistakes Aaira, and I'm sorry my love, I'm so sorry - I should have been there, but I'm here now and I promise you I'm not going anywhere."

Abhimanyu steeled himself, yes he had been grieving, yes he had lost quite a lot that day, but his anger had destroyed his family. But not anymore, he didn't deserve them and if he was a better man, he would probably let them go, but he was a selfish man, he wanted to be happy, he wanted his daughter and Akshu - he was going to be a man who deserved them.

"Do-do you love me?" Aaira asked her eyes hesitant and scared.

"It's true that I didn't know about you, but I have loved you since I first heard your heart beat my love." Abhimanyu gently said, his eyes steadfast. "Everything that I have and everything I am is yours."

A/N :
I don't know if any of you caught it, but the last quotes is borrowed from How I met your mother.

So what did you guys think about Aaira and Abhimanyu ?
And what do you think is going to happen next?

Do comment - it honestly makes my day and I love reading your thoughts and views
Thank you for all the votes <3