Chapter 12 - My Past Haunts Me

(Note from me!: I am currently in the midst of Uni Assessments, so if my updates take a bit longer than usual I am sorry, I'll try and get round to it as soon as I can 😊)

- Day 7 of Fall -

You had just finished harvesting some crops on a particularly cold and chilly day, the air icy. The valley was beginning to feel the winter chill, although winter had not yet rolled around. You found yourself once more thinking about the future, knowing you would not be spending your Christmas with your family.

Ever since you and your ex broke up and you left for the countryside, your family hadn't even bothered to call. They were frustrated at your decisions to leave home and break up with your ex, but you were an adult you said to yourself, and that you were allowed to make those sorts of decisions by yourself, especially if you are going to happier that way.

Secretly, you think that they are annoyed that you hadn't offered to sell the farm and split the profit between them all. Your brother was certainly unpleased with your Grandfathers will, considering he had left the most valuable asset to you and not him. But that was not your fault, and although you didn't knowing the reasoning, your Grandfather had chosen you to take on his farm.

You'd miss the warm, comforting feeling of being surrounded by loved ones during the holidays this year, but the sacrifice needed to achieve that was not plausible for you.

As you looked over the valley in the distance, you felt a tear scurry down your cheek. You had always dreamed of living in the countryside, surrounded by nature and peace, but you never thought that it would come at the cost of losing your family.

Milo's sharp bark snapped you out of your thoughts. You quickly wiped the tear away and set back to work, the day offering a new hope and possibilities.

- Evening -

The evening quickly rolled around, but that same sinking feeling of loneliness still crept around you. Your mind was puzzled as you remembered the hurt your own flesh and blood had caused you.

Thats when you decided to change your current loneliness, by going to the saloon.

You swung the doors open, greeted by the saloons usual regulars like Pam and Shane. You stepped inside, the warmth of the cozy interior providing a welcome contrast to the chill outside. Shane gazed at you, looking up from his drink.

That's when you saw him, sat at a table with Maru and Elliott. You felt your cheeks redden. You quickly scurried to the bar to avoid him, you were not in the mood for any awkward tension, but you were also worried about him since his injuries in the mines." Goddamn it," you said to yourself, you were being an emotionally stubborn woman once again. You took a deep breath and tried to compose yourself. As you sat at the bar, you couldn't help but steal glances over at his table. He seemed to be laughing with Maru and Elliott, completely unaware of your presence. You felt a pang of jealousy, but you managed to quickly push it away.

Pam approached you, a knowing smile on her face. "Looks like someone's got a crush," she teased.

You rolled your eyes, trying to hide your embarrassment. "It's not like that," you replied, hoping to end the conversation.

Pam shrugged. "Suit yourself, but I think you two would be cute together." She strode off towards Mayor Lewis. You felt your cheeks blush.

"Hey there Evangeline, what can I get you?" Gus, the friendly bartender asked with a smile, slightly catching you off guard.

"Just a cider please." You replied, smiling back at Gus. Gus poured you the perfect pint and set it down on the bar. You handed him the money and turned to analyse the room once more, trying to stay in the background. Thats when Shane approached you.