Chapter 17 - What Kind Of Man

- One Summer Ago, Zuzu City -

"You're cancelling? Again?" You sighed, your tone frustrated.

"You knew what you were getting into when you started dating a stock broker," he muttered dismissively. "You should have been prepared to make sacrifices." His eyes now fixated on you, dressed in going out attire, makeup on. "You promised me after last time-"

"I don't want to hear it right now Evangeline, I have work to do." He cut in, loosening his tie whilst walking into his office. You followed intently. Levi was your ex-boyfriend, a successful stock broker and "influencer."

Levi was the epitome of success, with his designer suits, expensive watches, and a luxury car to match. He had always been ambitious, even before you were dating, and his drive for success often came at the cost of your relationship. Despite that, you couldn't help but be drawn to him, his confidence and charm became a constant lure.

You had met Levi when you were both living in Zuzu City, all over a police dispute. You didn't like to think about that night, but you knew you deep down that you should have been grateful towards him.

"No, don't you dare walk away Levi." You scorned, watching him sit down behind his desk.

Levi let out a deep sigh, his eyes narrowing as he turned to face you. "What do you want me to do, Evangeline?" he asked, his voice tinged with annoyance. "I can't just drop everything every time you want to go out."

"I'm not asking you to drop everything," you countered, feeling the anger beginning to rise within you. "But it's always work, work, work with you. We haven't spent a proper evening together in weeks!"

Levi rolled his eyes. "I'm sorry if my career is so inconvenient for you," he said sarcastically. "But maybe if you had something going on for yourself, you wouldn't be so reliant on me for your social life."

You raged at his words. "I have plenty going on in my life, thank you very much, I'd like to remind you that I am the head-"

"The head what? The head social media manager at some dive fashion brand? Big deal." He cut in, your eyes holding back waves of tears.

"But I thought we were in this together. I thought we were a team." You muttered, your mind beginning to accept defeat. Levi leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms. "We are a team," he said, his tone condescending. "But sometimes sacrifices have to be made."

"I'm going out regardless." You stated, holding back your tears, turning to face the door.

"No you're not, I don't know who you are going with." Levi's voice was stern, and you could see the frustration in his eyes. You rolled your eyes at his possessiveness in a sarcastic manner.

"I can go out with my friends if I want to, Levi. You don't get to control me," you shot back, feeling angry at his lack of trust in you.

"I don't trust your friends," he replied curtly, his eyes narrowing. "I know what kind of people they are." You shook your head in disbelief. "You don't even know my friends, Levi. You're just making assumptions based on your own insecurities." You argued.

Levi stood up from his desk and walked over to you, grabbing your arms tightly. "You need to understand, Evangeline. You're with me now, and that means you need to be careful about who you spend your time with."

His words sent a chill down your spine as you tried to pull away from him. "Let go of me, Levi! I can make my own decisions." You shouted, forcing your arm away from his grip.