Chapter 35 - Home Is Where The Heart Is

Boarding the train, you couldn't bottle the excitement to finally get home.

As the train pulled out of the station, you found solace in the familiar hum of the engine and the gentle sway of the carriage. The city's skyline gradually receded, replaced by open landscapes and sprawling fields that you were used to. You had escaped two years ago, but in this moment, it felt as if you had finally escaped for good.

Every green hill and quaint town that passed by reminded you that every minute you were closer to home. Pelican Town awaited, its simplicity easing your mind from the chaos you had just left behind. The sun was slowly disappearing behind the horizon too, a somewhat calm end to the day.

Before you knew it, the familiar sights came into view—the station was in your eye line with the distant silhouette of the lit up town square in the distance. The air seemed fresher, and the moon shone brightly onto the valley.

Thats when you saw Harvey, standing on the platform, a warm and reassuring smile on his face. A surge of warmth coursed through you, your body desperate to depart from the train. Home, in all its simplicity, welcomed you back. The journey had come full circle, and you were ready to start a new chapter again.

The train rolled to a stop, and you disembarked, eager to close the gap currently between you and the small-town doctor who had become everything to you in the past two years. Running towards him, he opened his arms for you. Your bodies collided, your heart feeling full. "Welcome back, darling." Harvey greeted, his voice carrying the genuine joy of someone who had been eagerly awaiting your return. There was an unspoken understanding between you two, he knew today was hard on you and he wanted no more than to take you home and care for you.

"I missed you," Harvey whispered, his words gentle in the quiet and peaceful night surrounding the two of you. The sincerity in his voice resonated, erasing the lingering echoes of the city's chaos and upset. "I missed you too, can we go home now?" You smiled weakly, your mind and body tired.

"Of course we can, but Evangeline, I need to know-"

"I sorted it, Levi will never bother us ever again." You intervened, just happy to forget. He smiled warmly, not asking any questions, letting you close the chapter for good. Hand in hand, you walked through the moonlit streets of Pelican Town back to the farmhouse.

As you approached the doorway, you gave the keys to Harvey who opened the door for you. Slinging your bag onto the kitchen table, you stroked Milo who was very happy to see you, his tail wagging excitedly.

"I'm proud of what you did today." Harvey mentioned as he hung his coat up, his eyes searching for you in his peripheral vision. "That wasn't easy."

"I'm just glad it's finally over, today was the final closure I needed." You sighed. Harvey's eyes softened with understanding as he listened to you. "I can imagine it wasn't easy confronting Levi like that," Harvey remarked, his voice gentle yet supportive. He walked over to you, his presence reassuring and calming. "But you did it, and you did it with elegance like you always do." He spoke, gently tucking your hair behind your ear.

"Thank you," You began, "I really couldn't have done this without you."

Harvey's hand found yours as you stood opposite, his fingers intertwining with yours. "Always," he replied, his gaze locking with yours in a silent promise of unwavering support. Gently cupping your cheek, his lips met yours in a passionate embrace. As the kiss lingered, you felt a sense of completeness. The soft glow of the fireplace cast gentle shadows on the walls, creating a serene atmosphere between the two of you.

Breaking the kiss, Harvey's eyes held yours, you felt your body melt under his sweet and warm gaze. "I love you." His thumb traced gentle circles on your cheek as he spoke with intent and meaning.

"I love you too Harv." You whispered back. His eyes told you everything you needed to know, he was beyond grateful for you. You realised in that moment how good it felt to say those words and have those words said to you with true meaning.

"Two years," Harvey began, his gaze turning reflective. "It feels like just yesterday when you arrived in Pelican Town. Time flies, doesn't it?" You nodded, a sense of gratitude filling your heart. "It does, time flies when you are having fun." You giggled, thinking over the fun times you had already had over the two years.

Harvey chuckled softly. "Pelican Town has a way of making you feel like you've belonged here forever. And having you here these past two years has been the best part of it." Harvey began, a look in his eyes telling you he wanted to tell you more. "It was so incredibly lonely living above the clinic by myself, but I'm much happier now." He sounded vulnerable in that moment, a side of him which you really appreciated. It reminded you of how much he trusts you.

A gentle smile played on your lips threw your arms around him, offering a reassuring squeeze. "I'm glad I could be a part of filling that loneliness, Harv. These past two years have been filled with so much fun and happiness, and I'm looking forward to many more together."

"Me too, Evangeline. I can't imagine my life without you in it." The sincerity in his voice echoed the sentiments you both shared. For a moment, his facial expression changed, almost as if he was conflicted with something. As you noticed, he quickly changed it back into a smile. You brushed it off and smiled back.

"Let's go to bed, Honey. It's been a long day," Harvey suggested, his voice carrying a gentle undertone. Nodding in silent agreement, you let Harvey lead you to the bedroom. Tiredness hit you like a bullet, causing you to yawn loudly. The day's events had taken their toll on you, and the idea of the soft embrace of your bed seemed like an inviting paradise.

As you entered the bedroom, the warm glow of a bedside lamp cast a soft, golden hue across the room. The cozy ambiance made the familiar space feel even more inviting, only amplifying your tiredness. You slipped off your heels, freeing your feet, feeling the cool wooden floor beneath you. As you took off your dress, you watched Harvey carefully fold and tuck his shirt into a nearby drawer, like the organised man he was.

Slipping into your pyjamas with a shared understanding, you both crawled into bed, the mattress embracing you in its softness. As you nestled into the pillows and duvet, Harvey moved closer, warming you up. Wrapping his arm around you and pulling you onto his chest, he sighed. "I'm so glad we can finally relax... properly." He spoke gently, keeping you close to him at all times. "Me too." You replied softly.

The room was filled with the soft sounds of the night; the gentle hum of the wind outside, the distant chirping of crickets, and the muted rustle of leaves, gently sending you to sleep. Harvey pressed a gentle kiss to your forehead before you drifted off completely.

Tomorrow would be a new day, and you had forgotten all about the bridesmaid dress meeting that Leah had arranged with you, Emily and Leah.