Chapter 1-Frosty Kisses

Hogwarts Legacy Spoilers ahead.

Author's Note:

This story follows  my Hogwarts Legacy OC returning to Hogwarts for their 6th year as set in the world of regency England. This story is inspired by historical works such as Bridgerton and Pride & Prejudice. Hope you enjoy. xx 

"Dear Prisma,

"Dear Prisma,

You are beginning your 6th year of schooling at Hogwarts today. Your mother and I sorely regret not being present to see you off on the train, but we're afraid our trip to the Arctic Circle could not be delayed, else the entire waterway would be frozen thrice over. Although we will be out of owl delivery range, we will think of you every day.

We know you are nervous about returning to school, as 6th year is the year when young witches and wizards enter society and begin scouting for marriage matches. Do not allow yourself to over-worry. We snuck some sleeping draught into your luggage in case the nightmares return. It's the least we can do to help you from afar.

We wish to grant you only this bit of advice: pursue only what your heart desires, nothing more, and nothing less. Young men would be lucky indeed to have the hand of the intelligent and beautiful Prisma St. Cloud of Ravenclaw.

Love and frosty kisses,

Florence and Clyde St. Cloud

(Mom and Dad)"

"Did they mention me?" Natsai leaned over to glance at the letter, smiling beside me in the train car of the Hogwarts Express.

I tucked the letter into my multi-colored woven satchel. "My family adored you when you visited us this summer," I said to my friend, before letting loose a sigh. "But these days they talk only of two things: their latest book, and the courting season."

Natsai's face soured. "Don't remind me." Her hands mussed with the many folds of her too-heavy skirt. It was black, hemmed with Gryffindor red.

Natsai said, "I cannot even put into words my annoyance that 6th year girls must wear skirts down to their ankles. How are we expected to move? To cast spells, to ride a broom?"

"I don't know how the 7th year girls do it. Their hems are even longer."

"Anti-tripping charms, I suppose," Natsai joked.

Returning to Hogwarts for 6th year felt very different from the year before; not only due to it being my second year at the school, but it was also my first year of being what they call "out" in society. The tradition in England is for when women reach 16 years of age, they may officially be considered for marriage. The wizarding world held fast to this custom. Some believe it is the easiest and fastest way to pursue advantageous, pureblood matches. For me, however, it was hardly on my mind. I just wanted to survive this year without death, or unforgivable curses, or anyone getting expelled-

My mood saddened just thinking of him. Sebastian.

As if she read my mind, Natsai's gentle voice asked, "Will it feel strange without him this year?"

I pursed my lips and nodded. "I do not regret turning him in. But... I wish every day that it had ended differently."

"What does Ominis think?"

I polished my glasses nervously. "I'm not sure. He was the most disappointed of all of Sebastian's use of unforgivable curses. It was hard for him, losing two of his closest friends." I wrote to Ominis over the summer, but he had not returned my letter. Speaking to me probably only reminded him of the terrible 5th year we went through. I wouldn't be surprised if he avoided me this year.

"Is Anne doing alright?" Natsai asked, referring to Sebastian's sickly twin sister.

"She moved in with a relative in London. Her grandma's sister's daughter," I said, recalling her latest letter. "She's being homeschooled, and even says her pain has improved. It seems better for her than Feldcroft was."

Natsai smiled. "I'm glad to hear it. Anne will be alright. I can just tell." And when she said it, I believed it, too.