Chapter 19- A Forced Proposal

Author's note: one of the themes in this story is the fact that in the 1800's in England, a man and a woman were not allowed to be alone together if they were not married. Just like in Bridgerton, if a man and woman were caught alone together, it was implied that the man had taken advantage of her, and it was an offense to her virtue. The families would often require that they get married. (sort of a 'you break it you buy it' kinda thing. How sexist!)

"These two students were caught canoodling in the owlery," Professor Sharp said accusingly. "With Miss Onai as their lookout."

Professor Weasley gave me and Ominis a serious look. We had been brought to her office by Professor Sharp. Natty, who had been chasing a dark mongrel during the whole thing, was caught up as an accomplice to what was assumed to be a "forbidden meet-up". Technically, it was, but not in the way they thought. We might have gotten away with a mere scolding if only Ominis and I hadn't been caught in the middle of an embrace. To Professor Sharp, it looked like a romantic scandal- or that Ominis had been taking advantage of me, even.

"You understand what this means," Professor Weasley said sternly. "This is a serious cut to both of your reputations."

Ominis was rightfully pissed. "This is ridiculous. My father will call Headmaster Black, and get this sorted out before this misunderstanding goes any further."

In perfect timing, Headmaster Black entered the office. To my surprise, Sebastian was with him. "Mister Sallow and I were organizing my tomes," Headmaster Black explained. "What was the meaning of your summons, Aesop?"

Professor Sharp pointed a gloved finger at Ominis and I. "These two were found together, in the owlery. They were in a lover's embrace."

Sebastian snarled. "What?"

"This is a misunderstanding," I said, feeling anger bubble up to my face. "Ominis and I have no romantic feelings for each other."

"That does not matter, I'm afraid," Professor Weasley said. "A male and female student are not allowed to be alone together if they are not engaged. It's a scandal."

"Ominis, did you do something to Prisma's honor?" Sebastian boomed.

Ominis didn't even flinch. "Oh, please. Her honor is perfectly intact."

"I'm afraid not," Professor Sharp grumbled. "No virtuous woman would be alone with a man in the middle of the night. Lord Gaunt must therefore do the honorable thing and marry Miss St. Cloud. I will not accept it any other way, and neither shall the rest of the staff at this school."

To my dismay, Professor Weasley and Headmaster Black agreed.

I tried to explain. "We were only having a private conversation. Natty was to be our chaperone. She stepped away for only a minute. We were merely comforting each other-"

"He forced a kiss on you?" asked Sebastian, nearly getting hysterical.

"It was a hug," Ominis corrected. "And she forced it on me."

Sebastian didn't care; he was inches from drawing his wand and attacking Ominis right here in Professor Weasley's office.

"Mister Sallow, you will behave, or you will leave," Headmaster Black commanded.

Sebastian stepped back, and took his hand off of his wand. He still looked pissed; but he knew better than to disobey Black's orders.

"So what do we do?" I asked. "Do we need to apologize?"

Professor Weasley looked at me with disappointment. "I'm afraid I must insist that you two get married. If you do not, this will always hang over your head, and your reputation. It will reflect poorly on you and your family, my dear."

I immediately looked at Sebastian to see what he had to say. He was frozen. Words were lost on his open lips.

"I will not allow Prisma's reputation to be ruined," Ominis finally said. "I will do the honorable thing."

My heart was in my throat as I watched Ominis rise from his chair, stand before me, and lower himself to one knee-

"Stop," I said quickly. "Ominis, you must save yourself for someone you love. I will not accept."

"If you do not accept right now, securing another match will prove difficult," said Professor Sharp. "I urge you to reconsider."

I looked at Sebastian again, who had practically turned to stone. He did not say anything.

I rose from my chair. My voice came out hoarse. "It's fine. I was not deserving of the title of Incomparable, anyway." I looked at my friend, Natty. "I will simply not marry. It will allow more time for adventures, will it not?"

Natty looked at me with sad eyes. She could tell that this was not what I wanted. "I'm not marrying by choice. You deserve that choice as well," she said to me.

I could feel tears coming. "I need to be alone," I said, and left.

Sebastian came after me as I walked quickly down the hall.

"Prisma-!" He said. I didn't stop for him; he had his chance to speak up, and instead he was silent when my honor was questioned. I had nothing to say to him.

"Leave me alone, Sebastian," I ordered.

He let me go.