Chapter 28- Broodmare

Prisma tells Ominis that she was attacked by a moving statue. Ominis, however, has something else he wants to discuss- marriage, and babies.

---

After my encounter with the moving knight statue in the bell tower, I immediately reported it to Professor Weasley. She commended me for handling it on my own, and then assured me she would investigate the castle for any more of these statues so that they could be investigated.

"It sounds like these statues have been cursed using Dark Magic to attack students at random. This is an issue that must be dealt with immediately," Professor Weasley had said.

"I'm not so sure it's random. These attacks feel targeted. Someone was after Morgana, and then they were after me," I insisted.

That made Professor Weasley's eyebrows raise. "What you are suggesting sounds an awful lot like a student at this school has been using Dark Magic."

I knew I had to speak with Sebastian. But I didn't want to speak with him after what he and I did after the Gryffindor party. My personal feelings would have to be set aside for now.

Ominis was waiting for me at the bottom of Ravenclaw Tower. He was wearing a cozy wool cloak. I wanted to wrap myself in it as soon as I saw him, but restrained myself. Ominis was not exactly a fan of public displays of affection, anyway.

"Good morning, Ominis." I was too troubled to curtsy. "I have something to tell you."

"I have something to tell you as well. But first, I take it the Gryffindor mission was a success?" He asked.

I bit my lip. "Yes, and... no. It's a lot to explain. I should start by telling you that I was attacked last night."

He stiffened. "Attacked? By Sebastian?"

"No! No, this was after the party. A statue in the bell tower attempted to kill me. As soon as I knocked it back, it stopped moving."

Ominis looked as if he had gotten the air knocked out of him. "Are you alright?" His hands went to my arms, and then to my face. "Any wounds?"

This was the first time Ominis had touched me in public. I smiled a little. "I'm fine. Thank you for your concern, but I'm quite used to combat."

"Be more careful," he said, almost scoldingly. "I don't know what I would do if something happened to you."

Ominis sounded as though he was angry, but I knew it was coming from a place of fear. He had already lost Morgana. And he was terrified of losing me in the same way.

I took his hands tightly. "Professor Weasley is having the statues removed from Hogwarts. So let's not talk about it anymore. You should tell me what it is that you wanted to say."

Ominis frowned. "I received a letter from my parents. They want us to marry soon. Before the end of the month."

My stomach dropped like an anchor. I had assumed I wouldn't have to worry about a wedding until summer. "So soon? But it is only January."

Ominis exhaled through his nose. "They're pressuring me. They know that the faster a wedding comes, the faster we will produce an heir."

I nearly choked on my own tongue. "An heir? Why on earth are they thinking about children? We are practically still children ourselves."

"Do you not want any children?"

"You're acting like we're talking about sharing a box of chocolates, not a bunch of babies," I grumbled. "I can't decide right now. I need some time to think about it."

"We're about to be married," Ominis said, a reminder that I definitely did not need. "You should make up your mind soon."

I put my hands on my hips. "What do you think we should do?"

Ominis frowned slightly. "If it were up to me, I'd have no kids at all. The world is too messed up, and my family's too twisted. But," his eyebrows softened. "I suppose if it was with you, having children would not be so bad."

I tried to picture myself with Ominis's children. It was strange, to say the least. Ominis was cold, and prickly. But when it came to people he cared about, Ominis was as fierce as thunder. I could see him being a surprisingly good parent.

"We shall have one." Ominis sounded decisive, but then frowned. "Although... we may end up having more. Who knows."

I scoffed. "Do we not control the number?"

Ominis cleared his throat. "Well, children do occur unexpectedly, as a result from..." he trailed off.

I wanted to laugh. Keeping my voice low, I said, "You've had me pinned to a table, and yet you cannot bring yourself to say sexual intercourse?"

"I was going to say making love," Ominis hissed. "Naturally, as your husband, I would make love to you."

I pressed the back of my hand to my mouth, realizing that Ominis had thought about having sex with me before. The thought of having sex with him made my stomach burn. I adjusted my glasses nervously as I imagined Ominis with me in bed, where he could let the animalistic side he kept hidden run free. I was not ready for it, of that I was certain. But eventually he was going to turn me into his Gaunt broodmare.

"I suppose we should discuss the wedding night," Ominis said.

"We really don't have to."

"Well we obviously won't spend the wedding night in the castle," he said. "We would go to the Gaunt Home in Ireland. It's rather dreary in winter, but we don't have to go outside at all, unless you want to. We'd stay as long or as little as you'd like. It has many rooms, so you could have your own. Does that sound alright?"

I realized that Ominis, by telling me I could have my own room, was hinting that I didn't have to sleep with him on the wedding night if I didn't want to. He was giving me the respect of letting me choose.

"Y-yes," I replied. "That sounds fine." I pursed my lips. "This is all so strange. I never once thought you and I would be getting married. I mean- I don't mean for that to sound as though I am displeased with marrying you. I am rather happy with you, Ominis."

Ominis gave a gruff 'humph', tagged with the tug of a smile on his lips. "You could have done worse."