Chapter 25- Gryffindor Soiree

The Gryffindor Soiree was a party thrown by Gryffindor students. For one night out of the year, they open up their Common room to 6th and 7th years of all houses for a chance to dance and mingle. Sebastian and I would be attending so we could interrogate Garreth Weasley on his relationship with Morgana. Ominis said he would rather pass.

Ominis was not keen on investigating Morgana's death like I was. Perhaps it was the Ravenclaw in me, but I was just not satisfied with half-complete answers. I still needed to know exactly what happened that night she was decapitated.

Ominis was surprisingly alright with letting Sebastian accompany me to the party. It seemed that teaming up against Duncan Hobhouse had given them a fragment of their relationship back. But they still had much repairing to do.

I met Sebastian by the Grand Staircase. He was wearing a svelte black tailcoat and white gloves. Usually his wild brown locks looked wind blown and messy, but he had actually combed his hair back tonight; and by the scent, he had put a musky pomade in it as well.

I saw his brown eyes gleam when I approached. He looked at me like I was treasure, noticing my earrings which captured the light and cast little rainbows across the pale skin of my neck and shoulders. His eyes lingered at my exposed skin before finally snapping back to reality.

"Shall we commence our date?" He asked jovially.

"It's not a date," I shook my head, fighting a smile.

Sebastian feigned a puzzled look. "But you are wearing a gown... and I am wearing a suit.... And we are going to a party-"

"To not dance and to not drink," I said. "We are to find Garreth and question him."

"Would it kill you if we had a little fun?" He winked. "I'll save a dance for you."

My stomach erupted in a burst of butterfly wings. It was exceedingly difficult to say no to Sebastian when he looked this handsome.

"One dance," I swallowed. "But that's it."

The Gryffindor Common Room was completely transformed. An expansion charm made it triple in size to form a ballroom attached to a lavish sitting area, where students were laughing and pouring shimmering bubbly drinks from a fountain shaped like a lion. Ghostly musicians played stringed instruments beside floor to ceiling windows. Golden chandeliers hung from the ceiling high above the dancers' heads.

Only 6th and 7th years were permitted entry to the ballroom, and an age restriction charm was put in place right at the threshold. But I saw a handful of Gryffindor 5th years sneaking around the sitting area, stealing drinks and hiding behind chairs. No one paid them much mind.

It was hard to not be enchanted by it all. "We must find Garreth first," I said to Sebastian, who was taking in the golden ballroom with awe struck eyes.

Sebastian pointed to a table at the far end of the room. "Found him."

Garreth Weasley was standing on top of a table with a bottle of champagne in his hand, and his wand in the other. He was showing off to a crowd of spectators by levitating the bottle into the air, and then tipping it to pour a stream of champagne into his mouth. He then blew out a glittering cloud of mist that took the form of a dancing woman. Up and up she danced before disappearing into the ceiling.

Spectators clapped. Dozens of girls were fawning over him, waiting for him to ask them to dance. However, Garreth had really not expressed interest in a particular girl yet this season. As far as I knew, he preferred to goof off and party instead.

When I looked upon his flushed, laughing face, he reminded me of someone: Dionysius, the Greek God of wine and parties.

"Garreth!" I called up to the boy. "Come down for a moment!"