Chapter 5- Tarot Cards and Burned Letters

Wednesday morning was divination class. The class was mostly women, as men tended to drop the course after O.W.L.S, which meant it was a mixture of 6th years from all 4 houses. Professor Onai had us reading tarot cards. Tarot cards supposedly could give advice or insight on the future; though I had noticed that the cards tended to be vague and applicable to most every situation. But I enjoyed spending time with Natty and her mother.

Natty and I sat across from each other, somehow wrestling our long skirts into obedience to sit on large cushions on the floor. Natty shuffled the long cards effortlessly, placing them face down in a semicircle before me.

The first card was the Three of Cups. "This year I see an abundance of friends in your life," Natty said with a smile. "You will be surrounded by strong friendships that will nurture your soul."

"Yes, I already knew that." I grinned. Natty, Quinn, Samantha, and Morgana were my closest allies. And after having tea with Ominis yesterday, I could count him as a friend as well.

Natty revealed the Eight of Pentacles. "This indicates success in knowledge. So you should expect good grades this year."

The next card wiped the smile from my face.

My voice was a whisper. "Death?"

The room quieted. Professor Onai came over.

"Death is actually a powerful card to get in a reading," she clarified gently. "It does not foretell death literally, but rather rebirth and renewal."

I relaxed. "That's not so bad, I suppose." I was worried seeing the Death tarot card may be foreshadowing a repeat of last year. When I was only 15, I saw George Osric, Lodgok, Professor Fig, Ranrok, Sebastian's Uncle Solomon, and countless others die. I didn't need any more death in my life. I had recovered for the most part, aside from my lingering fear of dragons. I still saw them sometimes in my nightmares, snapping their jaws at my heels as I struggled to get to my feet.

Natty gave me a reassuring smile, and continued. The final card showed a man and woman intertwined, with their foreheads pressed together.

"The Lovers," Natty said, a hint of suggestion in her voice. Quinn overheard, and whipped around, her blue eyes wide with jealousy.

"I wanted that one!" Quinn cried.

"Perhaps an engagement will be in your future this year," Professor Onai said to me.

"That's a nice thought," I pursed my lips nervously, "but The Lovers card can also represent making a difficult choice. Not always so positive."

Professor Onai's eyes crinkled as she smiled. "You will have your choice of suitors, no doubt."

I smiled at the floor. I knew that was long ago, and our lineage was certainly nothing special. We had no riches, for my mother and father were simple wizard travel authors. My mother, Florence, came from the Lovegood line, which was just as mysterious as they were quirky, so whether they were pureblood was unknown. My father claimed the St. Clouds were descended from the pureblooded Abbotts, but the connection was likely too far removed to hold any prestige. We were just a run-of-the-mill wizarding family.

"I can't think of anyone who would want to marry me," I said in a low voice.

"Your ancient power caused quite a stir in the wizarding world," said Natty. "People took notice of you. Powerful families will want you to join them."

I considered what she meant. Powerful families- the pureblooded ones, like the Gaunts, Prewetts, or Weasleys. Well, I could count out the Gaunts, as Ominis already had his match.

"Why worry about it if I'll be dead?" I said flippantly.

Morgana, who had been seated at my back with Garreth Weasley as her partner, leaned over and said, "Think nothing of it, Prisma. I got the Death card too. Maybe one of Garreth's 'potions' will finally kill us."

Garreth Weasley heard her. "Fine, that's the last time I give you my home brewed felix felicis."

Morgana rolled her eyes. "You keep trying to get lucky, Garreth, but it's never going to happen."

Morgana was often found in the music room, just below the bell tower. She had a natural affinity for music. I participated in frog choir with her, and knew first hand how perfect and clear her singing voice was.

She was singing today in a dress the color of coal. It cinched at her waist and flared outward into folds decorated with black lace appliques. Morgana always did favor darker shades, even if it was a warm day, such as this one. Heat from the windows warmed the wooden music room, making it toasty. The frogs croaked quietly as Morgana finished her song.

"Pretty," I smiled.

"Thank you," she replied, "it's a duet, you know." She nodded in my direction, offering for me to join.

"Oh, I couldn't." I adored singing, but found it difficult to sing in any instance except frog choir, or the baths.

I gestured to a letter in my hand. "Argus had a letter for you." Argus was Morgana's owl, named after Hera's peacock from Greek mythology. Just like a peacock, Argus had spotted feathers that looked like a hundred eyes.

"Thank you," Morgana accepted the letter and sat down in a cushioned chair to read it.

As she read, something shifted. Her pretty face broke into a frown so unexpected, I thought she had mistakenly received someone else's mail.

"Incendio." In an instant, Morgana's letter burst into flames in her hand, and was gone.

"W-what was that?"

Morgana relaxed in her chair. "Oh, it's nothing. My parents are cross with my spending. They said they will cut my allowance if I don't stop buying new dresses and treats in Hogsmeade."

I was relieved to hear that was all. "I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps there's something we can do for fun that does not require any spending."

A gleam returned to Morgana's eye that I knew all too well. It was the same expression she had before she suggested we sneak into the prefect's bath last year.

"I have just the idea," she said. "Follow me."