𝐨𝐧𝐞. fifi the hatstall

I —— fifi the hatstall

🦢

          FIANNA LUPIN WAS A HATSTALL. For six long minutes, Fianna sat on the stool in front of the entire school, her cheeks raspberry-pink with embarrassment, praying that the damned hat would finally make its decision. "Bold and brave like Gryffindor, but smart and ambitious like Slytherin..." the Hat said to itself, over and over, as she wished the ground would swallow her whole.

Eventually, it settled on Gryffindor. Her big brother Remus' house, which she was welcomed into with open arms; his group of friends made a big show of her arrival into the "best house" (Sirius' words, not hers), something that felt equally embarrassing to an eleven-year-old. The whole ordeal was forgotten eventually, though, how long the Hat deliberated between Gryffindor and Slytherin — only Fianna remembered, often wondering what her life would've been like, had she become Slytherin instead.

She thinks about it more than she'd like, but she's always liked to think about possibilities like that. The road not taken. Sometimes she wonders if she had something to do with the Hat's final decision — maybe it's her memory playing tricks on her, but she does remember staring at her brother and wishing he'd put an end to her misery. What if his house influenced her subconscious? What if his friends' opinions of Slytherin (and by this, she means Sirius) scared her, and made the inner workings of her brain desperately cling onto the idea that she's brave and good and a Gryffindor, just like them? What if this, what if that, what if what if what if—?

Her brother says she thinks too much. Fianna, however, cannot read minds, and therefore, can never find out if her amount of thinking is any greater, nor more concerning, than the average witch or wizard. And perhaps that sentence alone suggests that she does think too much, but she thinks she has a perfectly good point there. Cry about it, Remus.

Or — and hold onto your bootstraps for this shocker — maybe Fianna is dreadfully bored, at her minimum-wage job on Diagon Alley. And you know she can entertain herself? By thinking.