Key Witness

"Make a confession and we'll let you go!" Peña propped himself up on the wooden table looked at her out of narrowed eyes.

"Come on, this is really the easiest way to end this shit." Steve leaned against the wall, rubbing his sweaty hands against his dark jeans.

"Oh yeah?" unimpressed, she reached for the pack of cigarettes lying carelessly on the table, put one of the butts in her mouth, tried to reach the lighter.

Peña's hand settled on hers before she could grab it. "My ass!" He came halfway around the table, settling on the tabletop before half pulling her up, so close that she smelled him and couldn't avoid his gaze. He held the flame between them, watching her pull on the glow stick.

"Get out Steve!"

He turned his back on her, lighting a hand on himself before turning around with a flourish, slamming both hands down on the table.

"Okay!" he licked his voluminous lips, looking straight at her, eyes like dark chocolate, almost too soft for this bad cop act.

She took a drag on the butt, blew smoke in his direction, grinned cockily.

"You one of his girls? Are you turning tricks?" his voice loud enough to be heard outside.

"Do I look like a hooker? Whose girl?" She shrugged.

Slowly he moved away from the table that stood between them, walked toward the door, she heard the click of the lock.

He came back, sat down directly in front of her, one leg remained on the floor. Behind his brow it seemed to be working feverishly.

"I'm really trying to be a help to you, not to cause problems, not to put you in a situation that will have consequences for you, but I swear to you, Corazon," the word sounded more like an insult, he stubbed out his cigarette, "if I have to, I'm going to bust your ass and you're going to wish you had taken your chance!"

She stubbed out her glow stick next to his, pulling the gum out of her mouth, looking at him challengingly as she stuck it between his legs on the edge of the table.

Javier closed his eyes, looking like he was wavering between restraint and an anger that was hard to suppress.

Warm fingers gripped her cheeks, he pressed them together, came close to her lips. She smelled him, the sweat of that damned summer heat, alcohol, the smoke of the cigarette.

"Real slow, for the record. I don't fuck with anyone, especially disrespectful prowlers. If you care about your admittedly sweet ass, save it before I rip it open for you and you're on your own for all those future games. I'm the good cop here, understand?"

Neither avoided the other, their gaze locked in each other, something in it that made the air shimmer, stronger than the heated air in the room did.

"Peña!", Steve rattled the door. "Come on, give it a rest. Open the damn door. Peña!" He banged on the door, shaking it again.

"Fine!" He let go of her, half-turned, walked slowly to the door, turned to her. "I'm not done with you!"

Steve pushed the door open, looked from Peña to her, then back to her. "Are you crazy Peña? You can't lock yourself in with a witness, this whole thing could have consequences that..."

Steve watched his colleague uncuff her, she rubbed her wrists.

"I'll drive her to her apartment." You stay here and clean this shit up."

"But..."

"Steve? Did I express myself unclearly?"

She saw the blond man shake his head. "Sorry, he's not usually like this!"