Ch 1

It was a beautiful day in Mushroom Kingdom. Mario had just saved Princess Peach from Bowser yet again. Mario turned to his brother, Luigi, and his girlfriend, Violet. They both smiled at Mario, beaming from their victory. Mario turned to Peach, smiling.

He teased, "Saved you. Again."

Peach rolled her eyes, "Yeah, yeah. What are you doing, keeping count?"

Mario kept teasing, "Maybe." He turned to his brother and Violet. He further added, "Nothing can stop us."

Luigi shook his head, "Except for our trip to Evershade Valley in a week?"

Mario cringed. He had almost forgotten about that. He asked, "That's in a week already?"

Violet spoke up, "Yeah, we lost count too." She further added, "But you know that you can always contact us."

Mario nodded. Elvin did make them all Scare Boos. They were helpful for making any kind of calls anywhere.

Mario turned to Luigi specifically and admitted, "I'm going to miss you, fratello."

The girls saw their cue to leave. Luigi admitted, "I'm gonna miss you too. But it is only for a few days..."

Mario slightly teased, "Just make sure that you don't get into trouble without me, okay?"

Luigi teased back, "I could say the same thing, fratello."

Mario laughed as he hugged his brother. Luigi returned it, smiling. They broke out of their hug. Luigi headed out, towards the castle. Mario followed him. He thought, 'It's not like the world is going to end with them in Evershade Valley... Right...?'

"You ought to know better than that..."

Mario turned on his heel, seeing a vision of his father there.

"Papa...?" He asked, tears almost coming out of his eyes.

His father replied, "Fear not, Mario. I'm not really here."

Mario admitted, "I - I know but it is nice to see you again..." He changed the subject, "Have you been watching over us?"

His father responded, "We both have. Ever since you and Luigi found this place so many years ago. We are so proud of you, Mario. We are very proud of Luigi too."

Mario started to say, "Even when..."

His father interrupted, "Even then. We are always proud, Mario."

Mario asked, "Do you think I'm overthinking this? I mean Luigi and Violet going to Evershade Valley for a few days...? That doesn't mean the end of the world, does it?"

His father sighed, "Oh Mario, it's okay to overthink things. Like I said, you know better but after all you've been through so much. But it doesn't help not talking about it. At the end of the day, Luigi is the last family you have. Minus Wario and Waluigi but that's besides the point."

Mario told him, "I know you are right. Being trapped in that painting... Finding out that Luigi was the perfect host for the Chaos Heart... That was all my fault. I'm not worthy of being his brother."

His father started to say, "Mario..."

Mario was the one to interrupt this time, "I know, I know. I shouldn't even be thinking about this."

His father stated, "Well yes. Don't you remember when you two found the Mushroom Kingdom? You two were inseparable. You two need to be that again. Before disaster returns for you all."

"Disaster?" Mario repeated, before realizing that the vision of his father had disappeared. He groaned, "I hate when that happens..."

With that, he started to head out too.

...

The week came faster than Mario would've liked. Violet had hugged Mario and Luigi was about to hug Mario next. Violet had gone over to the princess, to give the brothers a minute. Mario hugged his brother tightly.

He pleaded, "Please be safe..."

Luigi promised, "I will."

Mario held back tears as they parted from their hug. Before anything else could happen, the couple was gone to meet up with Spettro. Mario turned to Peach.

He asked, "Am I overthinking this...?"

Peach hugged him tightly, something that Mario had appreciated. Mario had returned it. He was overthinking things, right...?

...

Of course he wasn't. To utter horror Dimentio had returned. Merlon had called him on his Scare Boo, telling the man in red that the jester had returned. He had found the Dark Prognosticus.

Mario gritted his teeth as he activated the Firebrand, "You just don't know the meaning of quit."

The jester pointed out, "Neither do you. And it isn't like it matters. Soon all worlds will fall to me. Once I use this dark tome to find the Chaos Heart."

Mario promised, "Not happening."

The plumber ran towards Dimentio, Firebrand active.

Dimentio swirled a circle around Mario and said, "Enjoy your nightmares~"

With that, the hero of the Mushroom Kingdom was out cold.

...

When Mario finally woke up, he realized something was wrong. He was trapped...in the painting.

He asked, "What? Where am I?"

"Finally awake, eh, red cap?"

Mario paled. To his utter horror, the king of boos was there, smirking evilly.

He breathed, "King Boo?"

King Boo sarcastically replied, "Well, it isn't Big Boo! Of course its me, Einstein!"

Mario activated his Firebrand, "I don't know what you are doing here but I'm stopping you now!"

"You sure you don't need Junior for that, sir-jumps-a-lot?"

The man in red turned and to his shock, Mr. L was there. Mario was mysteriously out of the painting. But King Boo was still there.

The king praised, "Ooh good quip, L."

The masked bandit smirked, "Thanks."

Mario growled, "I can still take the both of you down."

"Are you super sure?"

The plumber turned as he saw Bowser there. He rolled his eyes.

Mario answered, "I can handle you."

King Boo pointed out, "Not all of us at once."

Mr. L further added, "And without backup. No Junior. No body-as-cold-ice. No pretty-princess-in-pink. No one."

Bowser laughed, "This is gonna be fun!"

Mario gritted his teeth. He knew that he had to get out of this somehow. And somehow, he had to stop Dimentio. Alone.

...

Wishmaker1028: Yes, I know the chapter is short. However I hope you'll enjoy the start of Nightmares and Dreams! Please read and review! And always think outside of the box!