01|A Mission

It was rumored that there were two strong and fierce knights that protected Melrose Kingdom. They use to be partners for missions and such, until jealousy grew in the friendship. One of the knights had gotten jealous of the other to the point he'd attack the other knight for the title of "Strongest Knight of Melrose Kingdom."

The knight, Soaring Pegasus had settled a battle for the title, also forgetting their friendship. If one were to lose, they'd never return to the kingdom. Of course the other knight, Lilac Sword underestimated the strength of Soaring Pegasus and lost.

Lilac Sword obviously being angered, sealed a curse upon the winning knight, earning the name. "The Heinous Alchemist." Before Lilac Sword's departure, both he and Soaring Pegasus broken the promise they swore to never break.

The promise to never leave each other behind...

No one knows how jealousy was formed within these two. They knew each other since they were twelve. Who knew the most strongest and well known duo gotten corrupted by jealousy...

Five years later...

╌──═Soaring Pegasus's Point of View═──╌

I made my way into the throne room due to Queen Rosemary calling me. Just as I entered, I sat on one knee and a hand on my chest. "Your Majesty, I have arrived." I spoke with a sincere and loud tone, attracting her attention. She turns to face me, closing her fan.

She smiled before vanishing her fan from her hand. "Oh Tsukasa Tenma, I have a mission for you, but can I trust you with it?" She placed her hand on her chin as if she was thinking as she eyed me. I nod before bowing, "yes your majesty, your wish is my command." Just as I was done speaking she let out a chuckle.

She clicks her tongue, making me become quiet and serious. "Oh Tsukasa, let's not get too carried away. This mission isn't like any other, it's quite a dangerous one, it's located in the mountains." Queen Rosemary spoke as she crouched down in her throne to meet my level. "After all, we are dealing with a strong mage, his sightings are mostly reported in the mountains." Her tone suddenly become serious as she pulled out her hand fan again, fanning herself.

She pauses before just shaking her head. "I give you three months to investigate the mountains." I nod as I listened intently. "Do I trust this mission with you?" She suddenly asked, tilting her head. I smile, striking a small pose. "Yes your majesty, do I go alone or dispatch more knights along my journey?" I asked, looking up.

She smiled, nodding. "Aw, I knew I could trust you, do a good job on that mission Soaring Pegasus." Queen Rosemary smiled before looking at my palm, frowning a bit. "Yet you didn't take my advice of taking a break." She simply stated as she held my palm. "You are free to go." She smiled once she let go of my hand. I nod, standing up.

"Oh, both Akiyama and Shinonome are joining you on this mission." She calls out just as I was about to leave the room. I smile and nod before closing the door. "Who is Akiyama?" I muttered, scratching my head. I don't even know who Rosemary just assigned me with and she expects us to work together? I scoff as I thought that, I wouldn't act like this near anyone though it'd tarnish my reputation as a good knight so.

I quickly smile as I sensed someone's presence near me. Turns out it was just a servant pacing towards a station, gotten my hopes up for nothing. I scoff again as I continued walking to the back gate. As expected, I saw the ginger I expected to see. It appeared he noticed me if him walking up to me wasn't obvious enough.

"Tenma, I had prepared an army of my men for you." Shinonome said, placing both of his hands on his hips as he looked at his men standing shoulder by shoulder. It wasn't much because it was practically all his men, plus I can do this all by myself. Queen Rosemary didn't need to worry this much.

A pink-haired female soon joined, who I assume was Akiyama. "Listen up get ready to depart in fifteen minutes!" Once Shinonome yelled, it got even more quieter. Akiyama just waved at Shinonome, but in response he scoffed and crossed his arms. I soon walk away to double check if the horses were ready and enough for all of the knights.

Twenty Minutes later...

We had left the kingdom five minutes ago, night has fallen just now. I looked around and noticed the Akiyama was dozing off while walking. I just sighed, I moved my horse closer to hers before poking her. "Wake up, this isn't the time to sleep yet." I whispered, Akiyama immediately shot up, her face was red.

"A-Ah, I'm sorry Knight Tenma it won't happen again!" Akiyama did random hand gestures. I nod, assuring her that it was alright. "What is your first name." I ask as I put my eyes onto the trail again. "Mizuki Akiyama Knight Tenma!" Mizuki quickly responded.

I look down, before smiling. "Okay then, you're in control tomorrow then." I look up and see that her eyes was practically shining as bright as a star. "Really? I feel honored!" Akiyama started to talk about how honored she felt to be in control.

My plan was to not sleep at all and protecting our camp instead and once the sun rises, I can sleep while someone else was in control but I needed someone who had fallen asleep just now, preserving enough energy to take control of the army tomorrow.

After a few more minutes, we arrived at a remote spot to set up our camp. Like I planned, I stayed up guarding the place. I expected it to be loud but instead it was quiet, 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐝𝐝. The rest of the knights were asleep except for Shinonome, he just sat on a rock, gazing onto the star painted sky quietly.

╌──═Day has risen...═──╌

Nothing happened, turns out I was just paranoid. We had departed from the campsite thirteen minutes ago, like I had order Akiyama, she was doing well. Maybe I'll work with her in the future again? But I couldn't think straight as I yawned. Before I knew it, I started dozing off...

...

You wake up to the sound of metal clashing together and yelling.

...

I quickly stood up from my horse, looking around. A lot of men had fallen, I look around before running to a body, checking his pulse. "Dead." I mutter, I was use to seeing dead bodies near me. Was a battle going on? That was the only thing I could think of.

"Gah!" Once I heard someone yelp in pain, I stood up grabbing my sword and ran to the source of the sound. Some odd void skeleton looking creatures were attacking us, immediately I strike an attack onto the creature before it can harm anyone even more.

A male slowly walked towards me, his hair was two-toned, he wore something similar to my knight armor except it was a bit more different and it was a darker color palette instead. I felt intimidated so I ran from the sight. Why was I even running? Shinonome's men were dying and I'm just running away like Lilac Sword when he sees a vegetable.

Why am I even thinking of him at this time... Plus why did I even run, he didn't look intimating but I had a feeling if I were to stay, things were going to be in an ablaze. "Fall back!" I yelled, the remaining men retreated from the battle to safety.

They all followed Mizuki, we still had a good number of remaining knights... that's good. I quickly ran up to both Mizuki and Akito. "What happened?!" I asked, looking around. Mizuki replied first; "we're not sure what happened. We were just walking until we got attacked out of no where!"

Akito then stepped into our conversation. "The male looked similar to our target, The Alchemist. It's possible that he is working with him." Both me and Mizuki's eyes widened. I looked down, thinking about it. "Yea it's possible." I respond, placing a hand on my chest smiling.

I don't even know what's going on...

We all started to search for another spot to rest at, it took us hours to find a remote and safe spot.

╌──═Author's note═──╌
Just a reminder, like the original book. Tsukasa wasn't aware that Mizuki went by they/them instead, but thank you for waiting for a chapter, due to me having three books I won't publish really often.