4. My new home

Inside his shop, he showed me around alongside my sleeping place. It was a mattress in a wall cupboard, a tiny room for me though. For the first few weeks, he just let me clean the place. Meanwhile I met a lot of customers and other kind of people I shouldn't mess with, according to him. Even at a tailor I received my uniform of a mortician, just like his.

So he wasn't kidding on wanting me as his apprentice. Although I was grateful he had straightened his mistake I didn't want to stay with him. I tried several times to leave the shop, but somehow he knew that and stopped me. For a normal human, he would lose his patience with me, but he seems to enjoy it...way too much.

It was pretty simple though, at work he acts professional to me, at least a little, in private he is more of a parent taking care of me. To my surprise he doesn't stop me, when I read or write, he even encourages me to do so, at night he even educates me. A noble woman has the right to do such things, a poor citizen just like me is it normally forbidden to be educated. He doesn't seem to care for the rules the society made. His reason to do this was simply "Because you look so happy when you learn something new" sometimes we have situations where we laugh together. At that time, I forget all about my reasons to leave.

It couldn't be any better than this.

But it seems someone had other plans for me. Undertaker received a customer, who happened to have lost his wife a week ago, she was very sick. Through that time, I was cleaning the shop; I didn't like the gaze the man gave me. Undertaker noticed though and ordered me to go out. He gave me a few pennies to spend, I shouldn't return for a few minutes. I sat in a cafe, drinking black tea and read the newspaper. He never did this before; he wasn't his normal looney self. I assumed it had something to do with this man, his other customers didn't act this way, and this was the first time.

After some time, I returned back. The man must be gone by now, but I was wrong. Outside I could hear him scream at Undertaker. I jumped as the shop was opened, I hid against the wall in hope the man won't see me "You didn't see the last of me, Undertaker!"

As he left he spotted me, he gave me a wicked smile and a bow before leaving and in the distance I heard him mumbling something. Undertaker came up to me with pushing me back inside; his mood wasn't the best though. He didn't speak to me for the whole evening.

What happened while I wasn't around?

During that time, the man form earlier went back to his mansion. There he spoke to a man of high ranking. "An unmarried women, eh? And she works at the Undertaker?" The man nodded and smiled "Indeed a little dove in such a place...my, what a waste. Don't women have to be married to be allowed to work?" "Either that, or a relative of hers have to give permission. Check her background to find this out; if she has no relatives it could cause a problem." The man seem to enjoy his guest idea "I will get right to it."