21. I Ain't A Judas

The whole group erupts into chaos after the first punch, and Sydney nearly hits Glenn with his assault rifle when he throws it to the side. Daryl seems for once, caught off guard, stumbling back but surprisingly doesn’t move to hit the smaller male back. 

“Woah! Hold on!” Glenn shouts, but Sydney just hits Daryl again. 

Merle moves to interject, probably ready to try and beat Sydney to a pulp again, but Rick grabs him and forcefully pulls him away. It’s surprising that Merle doesn’t try and stab the leader or even punch him, but maybe the older man had got some sense knocked into him when he was on the road with Daryl and knew it was the first thing he could do. 

“Sydney, stop!”

He doesn’t even know who yells that because he just keeps hitting Daryl, who just stands there and takes it until Sydney moves to push him and Daryl grabs his arms and pulls causing them to go tumbling to the ground. 

“Where were you, huh? Where were you!” Sydney isn’t even really punching him at this point, he’s more so just hitting the other anywhere he can and Daryl is just blocking it as best he could. 

He doesn’t stop until he’s forcefully pulled off of Daryl, and his first instinct is to hit whoever it is, but he calms himself almost immediately after the idea pops into his head and after he realizes it’s Glenn who had pulled him off. His hands burn, and he’s pretty sure he might’ve bruised them just a bit. Glenn doesn’t let him go, his grip isn’t tight but it’s still there, ready to hold him back if he went off again. 

Rick, who had been making sure Merle wasn’t doing anything stupid let him go so the older man could help his brother off the ground. Daryl’s face had a couple of streaks of blood on him from Sydney hitting him, but nothing too bad. 

“Are we done now?” Rick asked rhetorically, staring between Daryl and Sydney. 

Neither of them says anything.

Merle whistles, “If this isn’t the best damn welcome party I’ve ever been a part of!”

Sydney wanted to punch him too, but he doesn’t think that would go down as well, and he probably couldn’t get away with it as easily. He’s slightly confused, as to why the other man hadn’t hit him back, knowing he could have easily taken him but he doesn’t dwell on it for too long. The last he had seen the other two, he was near death, having been shot, stabbed, and beaten on. But here he was, standing on his own two feet, and having just tried to beat the shit out of Daryl. To them, it didn’t make any sense, but he already knows he’s going to tell them it was just the blood loss that got him, and after being patched up properly and some rest he was good to go. It would be a problem if they went around asking others, but he knows that Daryl and Merle just aren’t that type. 

Everyone is just standing around, probably trying to give Daryl and Sydney time to breathe, not wanting to stir the pot.