48. The Wolves

He can still feel what Daryl’s lips felt like against his, and sometimes he presses his fingers to his lips and wishes he could have the real thing again.

What stops him from just doing that? He’s not sure.

No. He’s lying. He’s scared. Out of everything he’s been through, everything he’s had to deal with, nothing has been as scary as this. 

Daryl kissed him.

Daryl Dixon kissed him. 

That’s why he's been avoiding him. Because he’s terrified, he feels like his world is collapsing in on him and nothing is ever going to be safe now. He can’t even control his emotions regularly, so fucked up he can barely function on a good day, how was he supposed to deal with this?

He can’t. 

And now Daryl is god knows where, with Rick and a bunch of the others, doing a trial run for when they would eventually try and deter some horde that was threatening to tear their walls down if it came near.

Sydney didn’t want him to go, just like every other time he leaves, but this time he really didn’t want him to go, but he doesn’t say anything. Daryl barely says anything to him. Neither of them knows what to say, and neither of them are very good at talking about their feelings.

Sydney wasn’t happy about everything that went down, and the group was split up again. Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Sasha, Merle and Morgan, plus countless others he didn’t know had gone off to practice for deterring the horde.

Randall was healing okay, as well as Tara, who was up and about now, only suffering from some mild dizziness here and there. Randall had refused to let Rick do anything about Nicholas, which surprised Sydney, especially with the amount of sass and attitude that Randall had thrown at the leader. He had never seen anything like it.

Aiden woke up. It’s not like Sydney had gone over to see him or anything, but Andrea had told him. It was something else for him to be surprised about, seeing as the man had lost so much blood and had suffered such injuries he for sure thought he wouldn’t make it. And, seeing as they only had Denise now, and not a surgeon… 

Sydney hadn’t gotten around to talking to Spencer yet, not wanting to face the man who had just lost his mother and whom he had kissed, but not seeking him out was not enough when someone knocked on the door and it just happened to be Spencer.

Surprised to see him, all he could do was hold the door open and let him in. “Uh, hey,” He awkwardly said to the other. 

Spencer looked pretty normal for someone who lost a family member so recently, but Sydney couldn’t exactly get after him for the way he handles his grief.

“Pretty quiet in here,” Spencer pointed out, looking around the interior of the house as Sydney shut the door.