40. Meet The Family

RICK GRIMES, 36

The camera flickers to life, focusing on a man sitting in the chair directly across from it. He’s wearing a dirty brown shirt, with a dirty pair of jeans to match. His clothes stick to him from the heat, and he looks as though he hasn’t had a chance to clean up in quite a while. His hair and beard are both equally messy, and unkempt. He’s hunched in the chair, arms resting on his knees— he looks uncomfortable. 

“Hello. I’m Deanna Monroe.” A woman’s voice comes from behind the camera, older and well-kept. 

Rick’s eyes flick between the camera, and where the woman must be. “Rick Grimes.” He answers after a moment, 

“You mind if I film this?” Fingers swipe across the lens of the camera, causing it to go black for a moment. 

The man in the chair looks dumbfounded, “What?” 

“Do you mind if I film our talk?”

“Go ahead.” Rick seems to second guess his answer, “Why?”  

“We’re about transparency here.”

He scoffs. 

The woman behind the camera, Deanna, clears her throat. “How long have you been out there?” She questions. 

“Since the beginning, haven’t always been on the road, but never somewhere like this.” His answers are honest and open. 

“How did you all find each other? Did you know each other before, or—?” 

“No.” The answer is short and curt. 

“I was a congressperson. Ohio, 15th district. You?”  

The man in the chair seems like he could care less about what she had done before all this. “I don’t think it matters anymore.” He shook his head. 

“Oh, I know it does,” Deanna let out a small laugh, “This place is the start of sustainability. At least, That's what the brochures we found say. This was a planned community with its own solar grid, cisterns, and eco-based sewage filtration. Starting in the low 800,000s…” Another chuckle,”... if there is such a thing. And they sold them all.”

His interest seems slightly piqued from the information, “How did you end up here?” 

“Well, my family and I were trying to get back to Ohio so I could help my district manage the crisis. And…” The woman lets out a small sigh, “... the army stopped us on a back road and directed us here. They were supposed to come later. They didn't. But there were supplies here and we made the best of it” 

“You put up the wall?” 

“Well, there was this huge shopping mall being built nearby. And my husband Reg is a professor of architecture. And who he was mattered quite a bit. He got the first plates up with our sons. And after a few weeks, more people arrived and we had help. We had a community.”