31. Auris

It had been two days since the prison fell, and the trio of teenagers had made much progress in just about anything since then. All they could do after they had been pushed out of the prison was move from place to place, looking for supplies and anyone from the prison. So far, they had found no one, not even evidence that somebody had been in the area. Either everyone was very good at not leaving a trail, or nobody was around at all. 

The only thing that had been prominent was a couple of bloody rags, but with how fast blood dried there was no way to tell how long they had been there. 

Recently Jimmy, Beth, and Randall had stopped at what used to be a mechanics shop— finally getting some useful things to use as weapons that weren’t just kitchen knives and the three guns they had between them. They had mostly had to just run whenever they saw walkers, not wanting to cause a huge ruckus and attract more. 

Beth had found a hunting knife behind the counter, owned by whoever had run the shop most likely, Jimmy found a metal baseball bat and Randall ended up choosing a crowbar— he had his cane with him so it was a bit harder for him to handle a melee weapon, but she could only hope that Jimmy and her could take care of any threats that they stumbled upon. 

The blonde pushed her hair out of her face, trying to not cringe at how the strands stuck to her forehead from sweat, her back leaning against the counter to the shop. Surprisingly, there had not been a single soul inside, and the surrounding area hadn’t had many walkers. 

“I’m starving,” Randall complained for about the fifth time today, from his seated position on the cement ground, leaning against one of the vehicles that were left inside the shop.

Unfortunately for them, there were keys for the car but the damn thing wouldn’t even start. 

“Maybe if you didn’t say it so much, you wouldn’t be,” Beth snarked back because even talking about food was making her hunger come crawling back to her.

Jimmy appeared from the back room, where he had been digging around for anything, “Well, it’s our lucky day—” He held something up in his hand, where the label had been partially torn off, but she could still see the picture of carrots on the front of the can. 

“Ugh, carrots?” Randall complained, his head making a ‘thud’ noise when he whacked it off the car behind him. 

Jimmy laughed just as Beth scoffed at the younger man, “You did not just complain about being hungry and turn your nose up at carrots,”

That got Randall to smile cheekily, “Life sucks right now, I am entitled to complain about everything and anything,”

Beth honestly couldn’t argue with that… life did suck. 

A picture of her dad appeared in her mind, flicking from the sweet old man she had known with a smile on his face, to a slice in the side of his neck. Blood spurting from the wound as he slowly slumped to the side, guaranteed a painful death.