Ch 3

Readying their gear, the soldiers are all ready to set out before dawn. Usually Torao would be taking charge of the troupes, but due to his injuries from earlier battles which are not healed yet, Iori insisted he'll do the job, especially if there were a chance they would need to battle. Despite Torao insisting he would be fine, he could not win against the young prince.

Meanwhile with the eastern soldiers, a soldier who was on guard duty noticed the western soldiers approaching from afar and notified the other soldiers, waking them up. Yaotome Gaku was one who was confident in his combat skills, however one glance at the approaching enemies, it was obvious they were outnumbered and clearly at a disadvantage. They couldn't risk losing anymore troops, and besides he received an order from someone a certain someone last night, so, he made the call and instructed his soldiers, "Fall back! They're only here to rescue the villagers so their priority won't be on us."

Gathering their horses, eastern soldiers retreated leaving their campgrounds. Hearing the ruckus outside was alarming for the captured but were met with soldiers wearing the familiar western uniform not soon after. Safely locating where the captured were, it was a sigh of relief that no one was missing or hurt, and to their surprise none of them was starving- hungry yes but not starving or dehydrated. Deductions aside, they needed to ensure everyone's condition was doing alright.

"This is quite troubling..."

Sighing, a new problem arises. All of the captured were chained on the same chain by the leg to prevent them from running away, but they require a key to unlock it. While Iori discussed this matter with the others, a young boy spoke up, "I-if you're looking for a key, the kind big brother from yesterday handed me this," pulling out a key from his pocket.

As suspicious as it is, it wouldn't hurt to try. To their surprise, the lock actually unlocked, freeing all the hostages. The question arises in Iori's mind of who the 'kind big brother' the young boy mentioned earlier. Could that mysterious man be the one who supplied them food and water last night?

Even with all those questions, it would be better if he questioned them when they felt safer in the capital.

***

According to those people, a redhead showed up in the middle of the night and gave them food and water. After reassuring them for a while he was attacked and blocked the incoming attack and told the attacker to stand down which the attacker did instantly. The redhead so happens to be the prince of the western kingdom and gave the key to the boy before he left.

Redhead... A part of Iori was reminded of someone he hasn't seen in years, but he can't confirm that it is him. And if so, why? I wonder how they're doing...

Pushing the thoughts out of his mind, he returned his focus to the meeting in hand which soon ended anyways.

"Tsk. They're taking up so much resources. It's better to just throw them out in the streets."

"Yeah. Who cares about them anyways? It's not like they'll make any difference to the kingdom."

Whispers of selfish nobles continued to spread, which were not gone unheard to those talked about. Haruka couldn't sit around and not do anything; he wanted to be of help to the one who saved him and his village.

"Um- Your highness!" the mint haired boy jogged up to the prince after finding him walking in the hallway, gaining his attention. Turning around, Iori waited for Haruka to catch up.

"Do you need something, Isumi-san?"

"Um... I still haven't thanked you for saving everyone... I want to repay you somehow so please! I'll do anything I can to help you!"