Ch 5

"N-nii-san-"

"Iori, listen to me until the end, okay?" Mitsuki flashed a kind smile.

The younger was trembling but looked into his brother's eyes, afraid. Tears were threatening to fall. This is the first time since Mitsuki became the king that he saw his younger brother in such a vulnerable state, and the strings of guilt tugged on the orange head's heart. Neithertheless, he continued to put up a brave face.

"Our mother had this illness which made her weaker and weaker by the day... if you still remember. It seems like I've also now developed the same illness..." Mitsuki was struggling to get words out. Yes, one factor of it was because of the heavy topic, but his energy is also draining rapidly. His breathing is becoming laboured, face becoming paler, it was clear as day that he was struggling.

"There's no cure for this illness so sooner or later, I'd die. And if so, I want you to be the one who takes my life," Mitsuki said with begging eyes, "I feel horrible to leave you alone with such heavy burdens, but it is inevitable."

Upon seeing the orange eyes, Iori saw despair behind those eyes through the tears swelling up.

For all I remembered throughout my entire life, Nii-san always had an energetic smile on his face. No matter how scary, he had a brave look on his face, never giving in to the fear. Nii-san always shielded me away from the danger, protecting me even when I didn't realise. So to see him in such a state, to see him suffer everyday, it hurts... I suppose I should stop being selfish. If I can grant his final wish, then I'll do it.

"Nii-san..." At this point, tears were already streaming down the younger's face. He held onto the dagger with a firm grip, and faced Mitsuki, "Are you sure...?

Mitsuki smiled at his brother, "I'll always be with you, Iori... Perhaps not physically, I'll be with you in spirit."

"Yeah..." Iori tried to muster a smile. The most he could do is to send his brother off with a smile, "Until we meet again, Nii-san."

"I'll be off then, Iori... Your brother loves you..."

***

The silent night dreaded on. Crimson red liquid painted the area, as the king's- now late king- body slowly became cold. Holding the late king was his brother, savourly the last warmth he'll ever feel from his older brother again as he wept.

Outside the room, the two assistants stood there in silence, mourning the loss of their king. Nikaido Yamato had already known about this request from the late king, and informed Isumi Haruka. 

A while after, they heard the door behind them open, as the sole royal member exited the room. His clothes were stained red, but the two remained professional, kneeling as they addressed him, "Your Majesty."

Iori's eyes were dark. The shine that was always there faded away, leaving it in the dark colour, just like his heart.

***

Red head's brows furrow. Something wasn't right. It was an internal gut feeling but his heart wouldn't let this feeling rest.

He looked out the window into the starless sky.

Iori...

***

The sound of the pen scratching on paper was the only thing other than silence, and perhaps the occasional sighs. Resting the fountain pen down, he finally finished composing the letter, sealing it with a wax stamp.