Ch 4

Setting the cup of tea on the desk stacked with papers, Yamato turned to the busy working king, "You've been working nonstop for the past couple of hours. You should take a break."

"Ah, thanks for the tea," Mitsuki was too preoccupied with work he didn't even notice Yamato when he walked in. Taking a sip, the warm aroma of the tea helped ease his nerves a little, "Don't worry, I can continue working. I can't just sit back and relax when there's so many things to get done."

***

"Are you feeling alright now, Riku-kun?"

Handing a cup of warm milk with honey to the red head, Riku replied with a smile, "Yup! Much better than before anyways, thanks!"

Riku had another asthma attack, resulting in him needing to rest. Before Sogo took his leave, the prince called out to him, "Can you- um... stay for a while?"

"Sure," Sogo smiled kindly. It wasn't out of the ordinary when Riku ask Sogo to stay for a little longer. Afterall, the older knows how the prince has been very sheltered ever since he first got an attack, not by choice and grew very lonely.

The two chatted a bit, and being one of Riku's most trusted confidants, Riku told Sogo about Iori.

"*sigh*... I miss the old Tenn-nii..." the 'Tenn-nii' who would pamper Riku, the 'Tenn-nii' who would always smile brightly to reassure Riku... The red head leaned on Sogo while to other hugged him back like an older brother.

It would be an understatement to say Riku has been feeling even more and more lonely since the war began, and Sogo knew more than anyone else how he was feeling.

***

"...good. The coast is clear."

Stepping out of the shadows, no one seems to be in sight. Iori sighs in relief and sneakily makes his way to his room, though he lets his guard down too soon.

"Who's there?" A familiar voice said as a pair of doors opened.

...! Unexpectedly, Iori didn't think anyone would be still awake at this hour, and knowing the guards' route, no one would be here at this time. Mitsuki emerged from the other side of the door, and there wasn't any place to hide.

He could attempt to run away, but it is likely his brother would call the guards on the 'suspicious figure'. Hoping not to cause a ruckus in the middle of the night, Iori revealed himself.

Seeing his younger brother, Mitsuki rushed up to him, "Iori?! What happened? Are you hurt?"

Clothes covered in blood; Mitsuki was the last person Iori wanted to see him like that. Iori could only look at the floor- not from guilt though. He would never feel guilt about erasing those who would make his brother suffer, but rather he couldn't face him. All he could do was to reply in a small voice, "...I'm not hurt. It's not mine."

It was the truth that the blood wasn't Iori's, aside from the small cuts on his face which had already dried.

"Then who's..." Mitsuki trailed off, not wanting to make Iori even more uncomfortable, "...come to my room, I'll clean off your wounds."

Iori silently followed Mitsuki back to his room, and the older signalled him to sit on the couch. The king got his handkerchief and wets it a little, cupping Iori's face and gently wiping the blood away.

The silence was loud, yet both knew they'll have to talk about what happened. Mitsuki was first to break the silence, "Iori... Are you... no, why did you do it?"

The rumoured 'grim reaper' from the east- Mitsuki pieced everything together.

"Your Majesty-"

"Stop. This is a conversation between us as brothers. Please drop the title," Mitsuki looked at Iori with a hurt look on his face. Ever since he became king, Iori has been calling him 'your majesty' instead but Mitsuki really wished things would go back to when they were younger.