Chapter 28

Revelations 

I arrived at the place hearing the ambulance's loud sirens and seeing firefighters, along with the rescuers. The surrounding area filled the air with noise and screams throughout the village. There were many people around.

I rushed towards the fire. It smelled awful, like burning trash. Scary orange flames licked the sky and made creepy shadows. Loud sirens wailed far away, mixing with the fire's crackling. Everyone felt scared—you could practically feel it in the air. Firefighters yelled, and people shouted too. Screaming...

"Sunog!!! Tulong!!!" People screamed in panic.

Everything seemed to slow down for me. The horrified expressions on their faces, the desperate cries of the children wailing and screaming as they watched their houses engulfed in flames. I couldn't help but feel emotional. It hurt me. I felt like I knew where the fire came from.

But how about Ivan? Is he okay?

I need to find him! And Lily too!

With each step, the weight felt heavy, almost as if time itself slowed down. I made my way through the gathering crowd, tracing the path of the fire. It was Lily's apartment...

I ran swiftly, pushing past the people blocking my way. And there I saw Ivan... helpless...

He was drenched in sweat, and he had burns all over his arms and shoulders as if he had rushed into the blazing house to save the person he was embracing in his arms. He's crying... hopelessly.

My gaze dropped to the girl he was holding.

Lily?

The girl in his arms is Lily... Lifeless... Her half-burnt figure made me almost not recognize her. I couldn't move. No... her body was covered in bruises as if she had endured torture, with marks indicating she had been tied up.

That's not Lily! I refuse to believe that's her! No!!! That's not her!!!!

I stumbled forward, struggling to comprehend what was happening around me. The scene blurred because of my tears, and emotions overwhelmed me as I struggled to accept the cruel reality unfolding in front of my eyes. Ivan glanced at me, bloodshot eyes from the cry.

I walked slowly towards him.

"She was already dead when I found her," he said, tears streaming down his face. "I..." He shook his head as if he couldn't believe what he was saying. "Hindi ko na siya naabutan..."

I was dumbfounded. Is this real?

"We need to find out who did this to her."

Is this happening?

"Vin! Pull yourself together! We need to find out who killed Lily!"

How many more people... who were precious and close to me, ang kukunin mo mula sa akin...

"Vin, listen!" His voice broke through my shock, urging me to focus.

Aren't you too unfair?

I was cursed with a third eye. A lot of people died around me... My mom... grandma... Uno... Sinciah, and now my dear cousin Lily... and I couldn't even do anything to help them!

I'm so helpless. Nabiyayaan nga ng kakaibang taglay, pero hindi naman ito sapat upang iligtas ko ang mga mahal ko sa buhay. It feels like I am sinking. I was lost in the ocean. Alone, suffocating me. Every death and every life lost felt like a heavy chain around my soul, dragging me deeper into darkness, which only served to deepen the anguish of my existence. The burden of seeing the tragedy unfold without the power to change it felt like an unbearable curse, a relentless reminder that I'm still, and will always be useless and weak. No matter what I do, I'm still worthless. Useless!