Chapter 11

"Chicks cannot hold they smoke!"  Brian says what I can only assume is a Black accent.  "That's what it is!"

Buddy was so high, it was hilarious.

"Do you know how popular I am?"  Claire asked, pride lacing her voice.  "I am so popular, everybody loves me so much!"  She says in adoration.

I scoff as she takes another hit from the joint.  Of course she would know that she's really popular and of course she would brag about it.  Whatever.  I'm not doing to let it spoil my buzz.

Brian, surrounded by a cloud of smoke, lifted his hands up, to shield himself from the light?  I'm not sure what he was doing, but it was funny as hell.

John then slapped his hand, causing Brian to fall back and my laughter to finally break.  This is the first thing that Claire and I laughed at together.

It amazed me that Vernon hasn't come in to check on us yet.  Music was playing and we smoked so much that I was sure that you could smell what we were doing in the library from outside of the school.  Not to mention, Andy just took off his sweater and started dancing around the perimeter of the upper level of the library, earning a bunch of cheers from Claire, John and I, and getting whistles from Brian.

We definitely weren't the quietest bunch at the moment.  

This was the first time that I've ever seen Andy like this.  Dancing carefree, cartwheeling around and vaulting himself over bookcases, admittedly, it was very nice to see him like that and even though I'm not into the guy anymore, it was the sexiest thing I've seen him do.

Even if Andy, Brian, Allison, and Claire got detention again, there will never be another detention like the one that we're having today.  Today's detention was something that I would be looking back on 20 years from now and telling my kids.  I desperately tried to take it all in so that I can remember everything from today.

Andy then goes into the foreign language room and closed the door behind him.  His little dance for us must be done now.  I stare at the room, astonished that Andy smoked so much to hotbox the room.  He then raised his arms up and screamed, breaking the glass of the door.

That's definitely going to stay in my memory.

The scream wasn't like anything I've heard in a while and dammit, it made me feel bad for the guy.  His scream was anguished, angry, upset, frustrated.  

It dawned on me though, the glass to the record room broke.  More so, it shattered.  Vernon had to hear that, no matter how soundproof the door was.  Immediately, I leapt to my feet and ran back over to the desks.  I sure as hell wasn't getting another detention and spending more time here than I had to.

"Doll..doll where're ya goin?"  I hear John call out.

I was surprised that no one was following me back to our seats.  I would think that Brian, Andy, and especially Claire would be following me.  Vernon would kill them and it would kill their reputation.

I got back to my seat and tried to sober myself up so that I can be prepared for whatever Vernon had to say when he came in.

I waited for what had to be 20 minutes, but surprisingly, Vernon hasn't come in.  Did he really not hear Andy break the glass?

"Doll, you coming back?"  I hear John's voice behind me.

"Vernon..." I manage to get out.  "He should be here in a minute...Andy broke the glass and it was loud."

"Well darling, he hasn't come and it's been five minutes since the glass broke."  Bender told me.  Has it really only been a couple minutes?  "So I'm pretty sure he's not coming in for a while."

I nodded and made my way towards him, feeling much better than I few seconds ago.  

John and I went over to the book shelves where Claire soon joined us.  I cursed at her.  I was hoping to spend some time with John alone.  And of course, the oblivious Bender didn't say anything to this and stole Claire's blush and eyebrow brush to start brushing his teeth.  I'm sure she's not going to want her brush back after that.

In exchange of her brush, Claire and I stole his wallet to snoop around the pictures that he had in there.  It made my stomach turn.  It was all women that were in numerous classes of mine.

"Are all these your girlfriends?"  Claire asks.

"Some of them"

Maybe it's for the best that I don't have a relationship with Bender.  I don't want to end up another picture that gets lost within a sea of these other women and just be referred to as "some of" his girlfriends.  I don't want to share this man, I want him for myself.  Fuck, call me old fashioned, but I don't think that's too much to ask for.

"What about the others?"  I ask.

"Well, some I consider my girlfriends," he starts, "and some I just consider."

"Consider what?"  Claire asks. 

"Consider whether or not I want to hang out with them."  

It's definitely a good thing that I don't have a relationship with him.  If he ever considers me his girlfriend, I would hate it if he's trying to get another one, he'll tell her that he just thinks of me as a girl that he considers hanging out with.  That would kill me.  And I think I've mentioned before, but I don't like sharing my men with other women.

Claire looks at me, motioning disgust towards Bender.  The look I return to her is one of disgust and disbelief.  I think she's caught on that I like the man, which is humiliating to find out in front of her that he's not exactly monogamous.

"So you don't believe in one guy one girl?"  She asks for me. 

I was done asking questions.  I don't want to know more.

He looks at her, kind of shocked.  "Do you?"

"Yeah," we say at the same time.  "It's the way it should be."  I continue.

He shakes his head.  "Not for me."

A sharp pain cuts deep in my chest.  He might as well have just stabbed me.

"Why not?"  Claire asks, putting down the pictures.

Bender looks at me and then turns his attention back towards Claire's purse.  "Why do you got so much shit in your purse?"

I hated that he did that.  How fucking dare he look at me for that question.  As if I'm the reason why he doesn't believe in monogamy.  That bitch.

"How come you have so many girlfriends?"  Claire presses on.  

Even though I don't want to hear more, morbid curiosity is burning at me, chewing away.

"I asked you first."

Claire shrugs.  "I don't know, I guess I never throw anything away."

"Neither do I."

"Do these other women know that they're one of many girlfriends of yours?"  I ask him.

He shrugs.  "I don't know.  I'm sure some of them know, and some of them don't."

I shake my head.  "That's sad, Bender."

He looks at me.  "Why, did you have your hopes on being my girlfriend, sweets?"

"If I did, it's gone now," I tell him before making eye contact.  "I don't like to share."

We hold eye contact for a minute.  "Well, I mean for the right girl, I I could change my morals."

I refuse to break eye contact with him.  "I don't believe that for a minute.  I mean, you just said that you never throw anything away."

Bender smirks.  "I don't throw anything away, but any wife that I have would be excellent at getting rid of any unwanted trash."

Fuck me.

"So you are monogamous!"  Claire says, breaking the silence between us.

"I never said I was monogamous, Claire," Bender says.  "I said that I would be monogamous for the right girl."

Even though I could hope and pray, I know that I wouldn't be the right girl to turn John Bender monogamous.