Epilogue

Monday rolled around and there was a change.  When I walked by Claire, surprisingly, she was the one that reached out first by calling out to me, waved and said hi.  Maybe she's not a complete bitch after all.

I also saw Allison when she was going out of her guidance counsellors office and Bender and I stopped her to say hi, see how she's doing and how her weekend was.  She walked away a lot happier after we talked.

I kept my promise to Brian and as soon as I saw him, I went up to him to strike up conversation.  John joined us and the three of us had a conversation during lunch.  Even when Andy passed by us with his friends, he left them to talk to us for a bit.  It was really nice.

As for John, after hanging out for the whole weekend, Bender introduced me to his friends.  They were hilarious and I loved hanging out with them.  Bender told me that they loved me as well and that I'm welcome to hang out with them anytime.   A week after that, on the following Saturday, after that detention, Bender asked me to officially be his girlfriend and of course, I said yes.  He kept his promise about not being with any more women too.  A bunch of girls would come up to him and try to talk to them and he would cut them off very quick and break up with them there.  They would be left baffled, sure, but he wouldn't give them an explanation and would always walk off with me in hand.  I've never been happier.

The following Saturday, instead of it being just John and I, I let out a huge grin as one by one, I saw last week's gang show up.  When I asked them what they were doing here and what they did to get in, they gave some half assed excuse, but with the underlying meaning that they missed last weeks detention and was hoping to hang out with us again.

From there on, we made the promise to always hang out with each other every Saturday.  And we did, even throughout college.  Even though we all went to different schools, we all made the effort to see each other on major holidays to carry out our Saturday detention tradition.

As for Allison and Andy, unfortunately, they broke up back in college, but still remained good friends.  That relationship was never going to work out anyway, but they still loved each other dearly.  Allison remained single while Andy married right out of college and had four kids.  Three boys and a girl.

Brian got into Yale and was studying physics.  There, he met a lovely girl who is an absolute genius like him, and I have never seen him happier.  They ended up having a daughter who looks exactly like Brian did back in high school.

Claire married rich, which was fitting, but she hated him.  He annoyed her to high heaven and they were both having affairs.  I felt for her, even with her affair she still wasn't happy.  With her husband though she ended up, like John said, squeezing out a couple puppies, who are now estranged to her.

Bender and I eventually got married and I made sure that he cleaned up his act enough to make sure that he got into a good college and land a good job. Parts of me really wants to bring John back to Shermer Illinois to show Vernon just how wrong he was about him. He thought he was going to amount to nothing when in reality, John is now a successful lawyer and the breadwinner in our family. We ended up having a daughter and a son who we love dearly.

Whenever we all get together, I always take a minute to look at everyone and see just how much we've all grown from when we were in high school.

I loved all of these people dearly and it made me so happy that I was able to grow up with these people.  Especially growing up and maturing with John.  With each passing day I loved him more and more.

Every now and then, I thought about the letter that we left in the library for Vernon to see too and smiled at the memory, hoping that the message that we left stuck with him to show him that we are so much more than how he just perceived us.

The letter that Brian and I wrote him was perfect, and even though that detention had a lot of downers, I connected with these people that lasted a lifetime.  Something that I didn't think would actually happen from one Saturday's detention.  

Dear Mr. Vernon,

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did was wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who you think we are. What do you care? You see us how you want to see us. In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions, you see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, a wanderer, and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed.

But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, a wanderer, and a criminal. Does that answer your question?

Sincerely yours,

The Breakfast Club.

A/N:

And that's the story!  I really hoped you all enjoy it!  

I really appreciate all of your support during the course of this story.  I means the world to me.

I want to write more so please let me know what you would all like me to write for next!  The list below are the fandoms that I write for!

- Stand By Me

- Scream 1996

- Once Upon a Time

- Percy Jackson

- The Walking Dead

- That 70s Show

- American Horror Story

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the story and what you would all like me to write next!

Thank you all again :)

- Lucille :)