7

~5 months later ~

It'd been 5 months since the day, early December, I got here. I'd made a good impression on what I could do as the days grew on. After a while I got dad to let me help in the kitchen and medical bay as a way to pitch in more.

Though it was also a way to distract myself from thoughts of leaving the peaceful place. Jackson, I'd learned the name, was a great place and was full of tranquility but I felt trapped.

Like I can't get out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the millions of little gremlins that run around and the kids my age that are constantly yelling at each other in 'playful' tones but it all felt weird. This was their normal. Playing in the snow, eating three meals a day, showering three times a week, playing on the playground, reading a book.

But no matter how hard I try, it's not mine.

This life was ripped from my hands at nine and was never to be seen again until now. But even the fireflies weren't like this. Never.

I was pulled from my thoughts as a knock vibrated through the small garage I housed in. Picking my self up off the bed I'd slowly gotten used to, I pocketed the knife I'd been twirling as my thoughts consumed me before being interrupted.

Making my way to the door my brain racked through the people who could possibly be waiting outside the door that usually, no one is at.

I opened the door to see the familiar face of an Asian boy no older than 16.

'Hey Jesse.' I greeted, offering a small smile towards the boy who stood in front of me. 'What's up?'

'Hi Mason, I've come to order you out of your turtle shell.' He responded with a fake accent of some sorts. 'Maria wants you.' He then said with a laugh after I gave him a confused look.

'Oh, okay.' I did with a clearly forced smile as I didn't feel like hiding it today.

'Just try to be nice.' Jesse spoke as he rolled his eyes sidestepping as he let me leave my house. I lightly shoved him as I turned around and walked backwards as I saw him lean against the wall of the house.

'I'm always nice.' I said with a smug grin as I turned around once again.

'Yeah sure!' He called out but I kept walking as I pulled up my hand, flipping him off before rounding the corner.

'Me? Not nice? As if.' I mumbled as I walked through the people who crowded the streets.

—————————

'What the fuck?! No! Absolutely not!'

'Mason, please.' Maria asked once more.

'No, I'm not taking in your fucking stray dog! She can move in with Joel if she's so keen on staying here!' I yelled back, enraged at the fact that they wanted to stick Ellie in my house and make me room with her.

Their are plenty of other houses why can't they put her in those.

'May, we both have seen how you act. All you do is work and then you curl up in that garage until you repeat the process. It's unhealthy and having someone else in there might help.' Dad tried to reason as my face turned to him.

'Unhealthy? I'm not unhealthy. I'm simply putting in the work I owe this community and that's it. I don't need someone else pushing their way into my life.' I responded having calmed a little at Dads entrance, hoping I can get him to side with me.