That Good

Zayn swirled Perrie around the dance floor and she moved with an air of gracefulness and elegance.

He had wanted to ask Liam, had even told him that he wanted nothing more than to enter the festive banquet hall with Liam at his side but they had both agreed that it was a little early for them to make their relationship public. Liam had laughed and teased him mercilessly when Zayn had told him that he was forced to take Perrie as his date and while he had felt tempted to spank the sass out of Liam, he had thoroughly enjoyed the impertinence.

It was refreshing and one of the founding pillars of their relationship.

Zayn didn't want to give it up for the world.

As the music slowed, Zayn drew Perrie a little closer and forced a smiled at her. Over her shoulder, he spotted Liam, who was dancing with a woman and an irrational bout of jealousy washed over him. The woman boldly had her hands low on Liam's hips and Zayn wanted to slap them away or better, permanently cut them off.

"Liam Payne, huh?" she said and Zayn knew that it was useless to even try and deny it.

The look in his eyes had given him away.

He nodded.

"Takes a special brand of handsome to bewitch you this thoroughly."

He kept his eyes firmly on Liam and a few moments later, his boyfriend turned to look at him. Their eyes locked across the semi-crowded dancefloor and Zayn's brow furrowed. Liam flashed him a lopsided grin and in an act of pure defiance, he pulled his dance partner flush against his body. Zayn glared hard but Liam merely laughed, purposefully leant closer and whispered something into her ear. The woman threw his head back and laughed and when, a moment later, Liam pulled him off the dancefloor and they vanished into the crowd, Zayn saw red.

"Go on, go after him, spank that booty of his," Perrie laughed and Zayn slowed their dance and led her off the dancefloor.

She excused herself and Zayn watched her head for the bar. His eyes roamed around the room and he tried to spot Liam's brown hair in the sea of people milling about. It took him a few minutes but eventually, he was successful and made a beeline across the room. He elegantly wound his way through the crowd, politely accepted well-wishes from a few random people, smiled and inclined his head in return.

He finally caught up with Liam at one of the side doors that let out of the banquet room, reached out to clasp his hand around Liam's wrist, and stopped him in his track. Liam whirled around, a frown fixed in place, but relaxed it when he saw who had stopped him.

"Leaving so soon, Liam?" Zayn asked, dropping his voice down to a low husky drawl.

It had the desired effect and Liam shuddered visibly.

"Yes," he replied steadfastly.

"Pity."

Zayn pretended to look dejected, then stepped closer and forced Liam up against the wall beside the door.

"I did not like that stunt you just pulled on the dancefloor, I did not like it one bit," he growled and squeezed Liam's wrist a little firmer. He brought his other hand up and ran it affectionately through Liam's hair. Liam trembled but he boldly held his gaze in a silent challenge.

"'Tis what you get when you don't put out, Zayn," Liam drawled and Zayn took another step closer, almost pressing his body up against Liam's.

"Is that so?" he asked, his question quiet with just the right edge of danger to it.

Liam reacted to it almost immediately, his breathing ragged and shallow. His eyes darkened several shades until they were a dark, smoky color. Zayn absolutely wanted to punish Liam for his brazen behaviour, but he knew that he could not.