Chapter Three: Where It All Starts Going Downhill

I wake up to someone violently shaking me.

I slowly open my eyes to complete darkness.

I cover my eyes with my arm and groan.

"What?" I whine.

"Time to wake up. You're back to human form and I want to know if you're still in any pain." R says.

I sit up and rub my eyes with my hands.

I'm going to go blind if I stay here any longer.

"No I'm not in pain." I say.

"Are you okay?" R asks.

"I just said I'm fine." I say.

"You're crying." R says.

I stop for a moment before realizing I am, in fact, crying.

"What? Why? That's so weird. I'm not sad at all. Why the hell am I crying?" I wonder aloud, mainly to myself.

"I do not know. Perhaps you had a sad dream?" R asks.

I shake my head.

"I don't remember dreaming about anything. Hey, you don't happen to have a ponytail holder on you, do you?" I ask.

"Why?" R asks.

"It's really really fucking hot and I have really really long hair and I want to put it up so it doesn't end up becoming basically a thermal blanket." I explain.

R grabs my hand and places what I feel to be a rubber band in my palm.

"Thank you." I say.

I blindly try to put my hair back into a ponytail but I kind of fail and it ends up lower on my head than I'd like.

I sigh and leave it.

At least it's no longer on my neck, which has become horribly sticky with sweat.

"You're so pretty." R says suddenly.

I look up instinctively to find the room slightly illuminated with a purple light.

"What do you mean? Wait, why is everything purple?" I ask.

"The purple streaks in the back of your hair are glowing." R says.

I pull my ponytail to the side and look at it to find it, in fact, glowing.

I look up at R again.

"Um, R? I don't have purple streaks in my hair. It's always been plain navy purple, the exact same color as my brother's." I say.

R's expression changes to concern.

"So it's begun." She says solemnly.

"What's begun?" I ask.

"The process to turn you into a god." R says.

"How can you say that sentence so nonchalantly?" I ask.

"You'll find out about that eventually." R says.

Suddenly, my heart twists in my chest, causing me to feel as though the saddest thing in the world just happened in front of me.

Tears drip from my cheeks onto the floor.

"Scaramouche? What's wrong? Are you okay?" R asks.

I wipe my eyes with my sleeve, the pain slowly subsiding.

"I'm fine. I don't know why that happened. I have no reason to feel sad." I say.

A sharp pain shoots through my head and I feel myself collapse into R's lap.