Chapter Five: Attempted Escape

"Did I not tell you that escaping from this place is impossible?" R says with a sigh.

"I know, but I have to try. I really want to see Kazuha again." I say.

"Give me one good reason to try to assist you in escaping." R says.

"You see, the night before I was brought here, my twin brother went missing. And almost immediately after that, I went missing too. My boyfriend is probably so fucking worried about me. I want to at least tell him I'm okay." I say.

R sighs again.

"Fine. That's a good enough reason for me." She says.

"Really?" I ask.

"I know how it feels to be separated from someone you love for so long." R says.

I silently thank the archons.

"Cool! Thank you! So where do we start in our escape plan?" I ask.

"Right here." R says.

I can barely make her figure out in the dark, but I'm able to catch what she does.

She kneels down and pulls open some form of...trapdoor?

"There was a trapdoor in here and you never told me?" I ask in disbelief.

"Maybe. Okay. So you're going to go down first. Don't trip going down the ladder, it's a long way down." R says. "I'll be behind you."

I walk over to the trapdoor and dangle my legs into the hole, preparing to climb down.

"Why haven't you ever escaped here again? There's a whole-ass trapdoor here." I say.

"The tunnel below has a silent alarm. But when it's activated, you're going to keep running, and I'll let myself get caught. Don't worry, they won't hurt me. They can't. But you just need to keep running." R says.

".... I'll trust you...." I mutter.

I begin to climb down the ladder.

As R had said, it was a long way down.

When I reach the bottom, my foot lands in something wet.

I cringe.

"You could have told me there was water below." I hiss at R.

"You're lucky it's just water." R says, dropping next to me.

"How far until this silent alarm?" I ask.

"Near the tunnel's end. I'll tell you when we get close. Now come." R says.

I follow close behind her as she said.

"Where does this tunnel lead?" I ask.

"It's a place called The Middle of Nowhere. Perhaps you've heard of it?" R says.

I smile.

"I love that place. Oh, but it's called something else now though." I say.

"Oh. I....didn't know that." R says.

What?

The name 'The Middle of Nowhere' was changed almost 95 years ago.

If R really remembers it as The Middle of Nowhere, that means...

She's been trapped here for over 100 years.

I'm about to ask her about that when I realize that with Topaz, her being that old is entirely possible.

"You do know how to get home from there, yes?" R asks.

"I do. I always used to hang out there back in highschool." I say.