EIGHT

"I can't believe you lied to me!" I was timid as I stormed into the castle, nearly throwing the ancient door off its hinges.

"Technically, I didn't lie to you," Rheon stated as he casually followed me through the lobby, five shopping bags in each hand.

I stopped abruptly and spun around to face him and nearly poked his eye out with my finger, "And when were you planning on telling me that there is no travel agency in Direfair?"

"Yet," he corrected, "Craig always wanted to run one, so he's opening one in a few months. See? I didn't lie to you."

There were so many things I wanted to say to him that moment but couldn't, all because there were children present - Clemmy was watching us from the door. She didn't seem bothered by the arguing in the least, only sent her brother an 'I told you so' look before ascending the stairs towards her room.

I uttered a frustrated groan and raked my fingers through my hair. "If my father does his research and find out that there is no travel agency in Direfair, he'll think I lied to him."

He said nothing as I stomped towards the kitchen. If anything's going to calm my nerves that moment, it was tea with five sugars and throwing Rheon with a box of cereal.

I stopped just outside the door of the kitchen and spun back around to have the last word, "Just so you know, if my father finds out and I end up taking the fall for it, I'm coming for you, wolfie. Werewolf or not, I'm gonna skin you and use your fur as a carpet. Hmm, just think; all those feet stepping on you and -"

"Hi, Dad," Rheon abruptly cut me off, looking at someone behind me. In a flash, I jerked my head back and felt the color drain from my face.

A man in his fifties was leaning against the kitchen doorway, arms crossed over his chest and with his eyes locked on me. It was like looking at an older version of Rheon, the only difference being his greying hair and the small wrinkles underneath his eyes. My throat felt like sandpaper when I realized he heard everything I said, including that ridiculous threat. The entire castle no doubt did.

His gaze shifted from me to Rheon. "When your mother told me you found your mate, she left out the part of her being ballsy."

Rheon's brows arched slightly, and he wore a lazy smirk almost as good as he wore that suit. "You should've seen her in the pantry; absolutely ferocious."

My cheeks were searing hot, I'm sure that if I pressed my face against a window, the glass would melt. And all I could seem to do was gape like a fish. For a person who always had something to say, my words have failed me twice today.

"I'm looking forward to getting to know you, young lady." Rheon's father smiled warmly at me before walking past us.

My knees felt weak after that encounter. Forget the tea, a cold shower to cool off my cheeks would do more good at that moment.

After Rheon carried the bags to my room, he left me to get ready for dinner. My nerves were all over the place, making it nearly impossible to focus. Suddenly, all the clothes Clemmy made me buy looked the same, my hair was rebelling against me, refusing to stay pinned up as I wanted it to, and I accidentally sprayed some perfume in my mouth and now everything tasted bitter.

Meeting Matt's family wasn't this nerve-racking - but then again, Matt's family isn't werewolves.

At last, I was ready and Clemmy was right, I looked great in Scottish plaid.

The dining room was just down the hall past the kitchen. It was by far the most rustic room of the castle I've seen so far and still maintained most of its original middle-age designs. The floor was made of wood - mahogany, like most doors and furniture in the castle - with a patterned carpet underneath the long table. The walls were covered with tapestries, gleaming gold candlesticks were lit on every surface, and a great chandelier dangled above the table.