FIFTEEN

Someone once said a lot of people struggle with sleep because sleep requires peace.

After my encounter with Lucine, peace was the last thing I felt as I left my room that night. Once I disposed of the flower petals, I decided there was no way I'd be able to sleep on my own, even less with Seren who I learned is a kicker. If there was one place I'd be able to find that peace, it would be at Rheon's side.

My feet padded against the wooden floors as I travelled from one wing of the castle to the other. There was a constant nagging in my head that urged me to peer over my shoulder every few seconds – just in case any shadowy figures were following me again. Lucine made her message perfectly clear, she wants me dead, and I should tread lightly.

How unsettling it was; before the threat on my life, the castle at night made me feel like a princess, wandering the magical halls in search of adventure. Now, every moving curtain sent my heart racing, every painting seemed to be watching, and every object reminded me of the silhouette with its tendrils of smoke.

Ultimately, I picked up the pace, desperate to find Rheon and feel safe once again.

I climbed the stairs to the wing where his room was located and rounded the corner in haste...and bumped solidly into a figure that appeared out of nowhere.

My breath hitched as the first thing I thought was: Lucine found me. She was going to kill me right in this hall and leave me to bleed out for Rheon to find the next day.

However, all rational thoughts returned when a pair of soft hands came to rest on my arms, giving them a comforting squeeze. "Easy there, dear. Deep breaths, now. It's only me."

I blinked against the dark until the person came into focus. No shadow tendrils, no red hair, no soulless black eyes, only soft wrinkles, and grey hair. My muscles relaxed when I realized it was only Grandma Selene.

With my hand above my heart, I breathed a sigh of relief. "Sorry, I should've been looking where I was going. I just thought..." My voice trailed off. Best that I didn't mention my encounter with the witch earlier, neither the flower petal message she left for me on the floor. "Never mind."

"You look troubled, dear," Grandma Selene said, her voice laced with concern. "Did something happen?"

"Nothing worth to linger on, Grandma, I'll be alright." I blinked when I realized what I called her, and she seemed just as surprised. Perhaps a bit satisfied too judging by that glint in her eyes. Feeling my cheeks heat up, I said, "I think I'll head to bed. No doubt, tomorrow will have a few surprises of its own."

However, as I turned to be on my way, a thought came to mind.

"Grandma, if you don't mind me asking," I began, "where were you that night when Rheon lost control? His roars shook the whole castle, there's no way you could miss it." Odd how she wasn't there but that silhouette was.

There was a moment of palpable silence before she smiled warmly. "You're careful about Lucine, I understand that. But to put your mind at ease, when it comes to my family shifting, I try staying out of their way. I still have the delicate senses, but the wolf inside me has died a long time ago." With a final pat on the shoulder, she said, "Good night, dear. Don't let the bedbugs bite – I'm referring to my grandson, to be clear."

Without explaining what she meant by saying the wolf inside her is dead, she left the hall, her footsteps fading down the wooden stairs.

I entered Rheon's room near midnight. He was only half-awake as I contemplated whether to tell him about the flower petals and the face in the window. I came close, though, but in the end, my courage failed me, and I crawled into bed with him instead.