FOURTEEN

The second the limo parked in the driveway; I made a dash for the castle. Seren called my name but to me, it was nothing but a distant echo. Bursting through the door, I turned from left to right, trying to determine where Rheon was.

"He's in the backyard," Victor said, coming from the kitchen and strolling casually past me with a bowl of cereal in hand. How he knew I was looking for Rheon didn't even bother me by now.

Dusk has fallen and the sun has set, painting the sky a magnificent ombre of orange, pink and lilac. For once it wasn't overcast or raining. My eyes scanned the garden in search of Rheon, but he was nowhere to be seen. Considering how big this place was, Victor should've been a little more specific.

"Lovely evening, isn't it?"

I sucked in a sharp breath when Rheon's voice suddenly spoke behind me. "Shit, don't do that!"

The asshole even had the audacity to chuckle as he approached me. My eyes raked up and down his figure, appreciating the sight of him in those jeans and that white T-shirt. It hugged his figure perfectly and showed off the girth of his biceps. Was there anything he didn't look stunning in?

"How was dress shopping with the ladies?" He arched a brow as if he already knew the answer, "Or let me guess, my sisters had a tug-of-war battle with you in the store."

"I enjoyed it." For a moment I forgot about the curse and thought back to the day's events. "I wish dress shopping for prom was this fun."

"Yours wasn't?"

"Madison kept stealing my mom away to try on dresses, I basically shopped on my own." I scoffed. A smile tugged at my lips when something crossed my mind, "I think you're going to like my dress, though."

His head tilted to the side, quirking an eyebrow as he said, "Really now?"

"Huh-uh, but you'll have to wait until the ball to see it."

Rheon crossed his arms, feigning a disappointed look. "Oh, so that's how it's going to be? Alright, then I guess you'll have to wait until Sunday to see the surprise I got you."

My eyes grew twice their size when he said that. For a moment I thought he was kidding, but when his face remained even, I realized he was being serious. "You got me something?"

He nodded, holding out his arm for me to take. "And since I'm not as mean as a certain human, I'll give it to her this very moment."

"I'm gonna pretend you didn't just indirectly call me mean and let it slide." I grinned and looped my arm through his. "Alright, show me the surprise!"

Rheon strolled through the garden at a leisurely pace. He was very much aware it was driving me nuts. My eyes darted about, expecting something to jump out from behind the trees and flowerbeds at any time. What did he get me anyway? As far as I knew, I didn't drop any hints or anything. Unless he could actually read my mind and discovered I've always wanted an alpaca.

We followed a trail through the trees that led to a cliff extending over the lake. A chalet was built atop of it with large windows and a spacious patio outside the front door. My first thought was Rheon is trying to convince me to stay by giving me a place of my own. But that was highly unlikely because people don't just give other people entire freaking houses.

I tried staying as cool and collected as I possibly could when he opened the door, allowing me to enter.

The interior was stunning, and that's stating it lightly. It had an open-plan living area and kitchen and following the stairs upwards to the second level, I could tell it was where the bedroom was supposed to be. It was so open and light, I found it impossible not to like.