CHAPTER 2. Darkening

Violet

Days passed since the closing of the gates and still, the uneasiness that had settled in my soul haunted me.

Although Elga had become the closest thing I knew to family, I was still dealing with trust issues. In my circumstances, trust could put me in danger in a second and I wasn't willing to pay the risk, at least not yet. During the Harvest Holidays I was invited to have lunch with Elga and her husband. I instantly refused. Not that I didn't want to go, I just felt uncomfortable for some reason. After years of eating alone, suddenly being invited to a small family lunch made me feel... weird. It somehow scared me, for when she first mentioned the invitation, a feeling of happiness and warmth spread through my entire body, as if something in me had longed for companionship. It was certainly a dangerous feeling. Anyway, not that all of this matters, for Elga didn't take no for an answer and insisted until I saw myself forced to accept. I was now on my way to their house, doing my best to ignore these feelings. Or at least hide them. "Listen to your head instead of your heart" I kept repeating myself.

Elga had drawn a little map to facilitate my search for her house. However, it was quite difficult to follow, for it wasn't easy to distinguish her indications scribbled in the little piece of paper. Elga was definitely not very good at drawing. After wandering for a while around town I followed a beautiful avenue, the floor of which was covered with all kinds of colorful leaves and petals. This astonishing roadway led me to the outskirts of town.

I walked as far as I could go, until I reached the town's wall. I then followed the not very accurate map and diverted to my right, somehow managing to arrive at my destination. It was definitely not what I was expecting. I had envisioned a small countryside cottage, but this, however, was more like a large farm. The stone walls were interrupted by large balconies and oriels partially covered by climbing vines that grew all over. There even was a small stable just about the left corner of the building inhabited by some farm animals between which I distinguished two horses. I assumed it was Elga's husband who looked after them. I was simply astonished. I then lifted my eyes, perceiving the smoke coming out of the chimney, announcing that the inside of the house was most probably warm.

I was about to move when I suddenly discerned something moving out of the right corner of my eye. It approached me at considerable speed whilst clucking. I soon reacted, holding my pouch next to my body in a defensive position, hoping it would soften the attacks of my offensor. He headed straight toward me and bit the sack. Luckily enough, Elga came to my rescue and scared the naggy little beast away. I glanced at her, still agitated and with a panicked look on my face. She immediately hugged me tightly and slightly kissed my left cheek. After our first meeting, she always did that when she saw me. I guess it was a natural thing for her, unlike me, who had to teach their body and mind to not reject the display of physical touch and just wait until she let go of me.

"Sorry about that. Antonio is kind of protective of his territory you see..." she said pointing towards the direction the goose had fled.

"No need for a guarding dog if you got... Antonio. That's for sure." I sighed, exchanging smiles with Elga.

We drew near the door and made our way into the building. I was immediately embraced with warmness and the characteristic scent of Elga, which filled the house. It smelled like a bunch of flowers, between which lavender was the easiest to distinguish.

The old woman led me through the house until we reached a big room with an orial at the end of it that let the sunlight invade the whole chamber. All around us where huge bookshelves that nearly touched the ceiling. These were only interrupted by a welcoming fireplace that stood at the east side of the room. There were some plants around as well, which of course wasn't very surprising. In the middle of the room there was a large wooden table with 8 chairs around it. Perpendicularly to the great window there was a pair of leather couches which looked really comfortable.