CHAPTER 11. Dyed

Violet

There were rumors on the whereabouts of the White One which the whole village had already heard. The only thing that kept me hidden was precisely being in the center of it all, being "so easy to find". As they saw, however, sometimes we miss what's right under our noses. Everyone thought the White One was outside, somewhere near the surroundings of Verlian. Meanwhile, the gates were keeping me safe from the Myrkers while the false information everyone believed was keeping me from being discovered by the guardians. My hair dye had also been a determining factor, or so I thought. However, it had almost washed off completely.

Once again, I found myself trying to think of a way to get the flower I needed to conceal my hair color a while longer, even if that meant setting foot outside the walls, with the Myrkers lurking at every turn. I had realized that either route I took I would be facing the same challenges, the same dangers. I decided to risk myself and hope to not be seen by any shadow creatures until I crossed the gates back. I couldn't keep waiting for people to just find out my true identity.

I had to be quick. Get out, find the flower, grab it, and run in again. That was it. I could do it.

For the first time in a while, the weather was cloudy. Although I actually liked the gloominess associated with cloudy skies and rainy days, this time it felt kind of unsettling. No wonder. Once night time had settled, I walked down the flower shops street, hood on, towards the lantern bridge. Guard patrols were very active, constantly walking through the different areas of town, yet most of them were more interested in each other's chatter and life story than on what was actually going on in Verlians streets. Kind of pathetic, but I wasn't going to be the one complaining about it. As I skipped all the patrols I finally got to the walls. I looked around, trying to detect the easiest way out of town. The stairs were rejected almost immediately after seeing there were guards every few steps. I decided to walk towards the West side of town. It sounded familiar that there was a house very close to the wall. I figured I could maybe climb on its roof, and jump from there.

Up on the roof I was, after some hard struggles with the creeper plants. Now I had to be careful not to be seen when jumping from the roof to the top of the wall. The detachment was wider than I had initially imagined, but I couldn't turn back now. There was no other way either. I just had to sprint and jump as far as my legs permitted me.

One of the chattery guard patrols approached completely uninterested in what was going on right above their heads. I crouched down and patiently waited a few short minutes for them to ward off. It was time. No one was around. I got up again and took a few steps backwards before stopping and profoundly breathing in order to relax myself. I launched forward as fast as I could until my feet were no longer touching solid ground. I landed right on the brim, falling face front but catching my balance before I made it to the ground. It was done. I was on top of the walls. I put my fallen hood back over my head and allowed myself to smile for a second before quickly and quietly searching for a place where I could secure the rope I was planning to use to climb back up without any difficulties.

Everything seemed unreal up there. I couldn't believe my actions.

The rope had been found in Elga's flower shop attic a few weeks before, while looking for some bases to put some plants in. It was a bit worn out, but I knew it would serve a purpose the moment I saw it. And here we were.

Once the perfect corner to place the rope was found, I tied up the strongest knot I was able to tie while praying it would hold my weight in it's due time. After making sure the coast was clear, I boosted myself down.

***

My feet touched the ground swiftly. I stopped, held the robe with both hands, and listened attentively, holding my breath in. I stayed there for a few minutes, hands still on the rope, in case I heard any strange sound that would alert me, making me go back up the wall right away. I heard nothing still. So I made my move.