CHAPTER 7. Broken

Violet

Time was slowly slipping. It had been a few months since the barrier had first shown signs of weakening, giving the nearby nations an estimation of the scarce remaining time before the first cracks made their appearance, which would shortly be followed by the whole barrier breaking, releasing darkness once again.

Although official information and documentation about "darkness" and the barrier had always been hidden by the nation's authorities, some details and rumors had passed down from generation to generation by the eldest of communities, who had encountered our current situation before and still lived to tell the tale.

Cracks on the barrier were already bad news. It not only meant that the barrier would soon give in, but that the creatures inside the "darkness" would once again be free to roam the earth, unshackled by the power of the preceding White One.

These creatures were called Myrkers. The only thing I knew about them was that their first aim once free was always the White One. I would be their number one target. For after they killed me, there was no one left with the power to seal them.

Up until now, however, there had never existed a White One who died in the hands of the Myrkers. All my ancestors had been used as sacrifice by the Guardians. None of them able to escape their fate.

All this to say that after the first cracks took place, I was no longer "wanted" by the Guardians only, but sought by the Myrkers as well, who would try to kill me at first sight. A headache started making itself noticeable, my thoughts to and fro in my mind.

I needed a plan. Now. I had to quickly make my way out of town, even if my sudden escape raised suspicion. Better that than being captured and sacrificed. Thanks to the horse riding outings Melody and I had been on during the past months, I could easily remember the outskirts of town, outlining an escape route that would lead me far enough from town before anyone noticed me missing. Or so I hoped. The plan was quite simple; I would use Elga's permit to pass through the gates unnoticed. Once out, I would make my way somewhere else. Maybe another town. Or a small cottage in the woods. Up in the mountains... It just felt like an endless journey. Never being able to settle anywhere, never establishing deep relationships or any sort of attachments to anyone, never actually resting. Pausing.

Alright so, plan done. It was okay. It could work. Why not? The problem came when trying to find the dumb permit I had hidden somewhere. I just couldn't seem to find it. No matter where I looked or how many times I searched. I continued obsessing over it, scrutinizing every corner of the house until everything was a complete mess.

So no permit now. No free pass through the gates unsuspected by anyone. That only meant one thing to me: if I didn't have a way out, I would make one. The same way I was stretching my living hours by resisting being found by my predators. I was determined to flee. Sooner or later, I'd do whatever I needed to do to make it happen.

***

The distant walls that surrounded the city slowly came into view as I made my way through the dark streets. It was now about midnight so everybody was in their houses, making it easier to roam around undetected.

I gently pulled my hood back up before it completely slipped backwards, leaving my countenance exposed. I abruptly stopped when I heard footsteps and chattering nearing closer to me. Before its origin was revealed to my sight I hid in a gloomy and narrow alley between two stone-built houses. The midnight guards walked right past me, not noticing my presence and continuing their conversation. Soon after they were put off sight again I let out a gasp of air I didn't even realize I was holding back.

I then carried on, walking towards the major wall always near the building facades in order to attract the least possible attention. About half an hour past midnight I was already there, standing still, the rampart in front of me, just a few steps away. I didn't dare to move, not before analyzing in detail my surroundings while outlining in my mind any escape routes I could figure out.