CHAPTER 12. Bled

Violet

Screaming. Black. Pain. Dizziness.

I slowly opened my eyes, unsure of what had happened. It was as if everything had stopped. Nothing could be heard. Nothing could be felt either, as if the blow that the Myrker intended had never been delivered. Even so, I remained still for a few more seconds, holding my breath and steading my heart which was beating at an agonizing rate. Once I thought it was time to give up on calming the thumping in my chest, I slowly opened my eyes. During what felt like hours, everything remained blurry through my vision, unclear. Then, finally, it somewhat focused, allowing me to see Sam just in front of me holding a lit torch. I slightly flinched at the sight of it, unconsciously retreating a little bit, as far as the tree behind me permitted. With my back against it, I tried getting up as soon as my body was able to react, ignoring my aching body.

"Are you okay?" he asked, worry laced to his voice as he checked me up and down the best he could, given the darkness of the late hour.

I didn't respond. I couldn't risk revealing myself and I was sure the only bit of honesty in his worry was due to the fact he needed me alive. Nothing more.

I slowly backed away, eyes fixed on him, making sure he didn't make any unexpected moves. He had to some extent helped me, but I didn't need his help anymore. I needed him gone, and, since he didn't seem to be willing to go first, then I would. Once I thought I was far enough, I turned around, my gaze leaving his. Wrong move. The second he was no longer in my view, his body slammed with mine thus pushing me forward and making me almost lose my balance. I turned to look at him so fast I was sure my neck cracked. My heart stopped beating as soon as my brain processed what my sight was capturing.

Sam was laying on the floor a few meters away from me, a Myrker right on top of him. I couldn't look anywhere else as my mind began to race at a speed I had never thought possible. The shadow creature was fully concentrated on its prey -Sam- gifting me an opening to escape without problems as long as no other Myrkers were to appear. I could have easily done that, but something was holding me back from running away and leaving. From leaving the boy. I tried, but just couldn't find it in myself to abandon him when all evidence told me that he had taken an attack that was meant for me. He was in that situation because of it, because of me.

With my mind set, I started running as the Myrker moved forward at an alarming pace with the intention of hurting whoever was in front of it. Before he could, I did exactly what Sam had done for me a few minutes ago. I stopped the blow from hitting him by taking it myself.

As the monster collided with me, I felt as if every part of my body broke, time slowing and sound muted. A chain of pain traveled through every muscle and bone, vibrations making me grit my teeth. My eyes burned, the throbbing in my head reached a level of intensity I had never imagined was possible. My breath hitched in my throat as the air in my ribs was forced out. This time, I couldn't contain an extremely loud shriek as I fell to the ground, landing wrongly on my ankle in the process.

"No!" I heard the boy yell, camouflaged by my loud attempts at drawing breath after breath, each of them accompanied by pain and an intense ringing in my ears.

Regaining control over himself, Sam grabbed his torch once more and came close to the Myrker. As the burning flame came in contact with the darkness, it completely consumed it in a matter of seconds. With my breaths still uneven, I incorporated myself, pulling my hood back up as it had fallen a bit and doing my best to stand. Once I accomplished my task and approved of the distance between us, I directed my glance towards Sam and let my eyes examine him. The boy's clothes were all torn apart, his hair messy and his arms scratched in various places. I somehow noticed a slight cut on his right cheek as well, the moon gleaming on it as if trying to cure it with its dim light. He held his shoulder as he mirrored my stare, our eyes locking for what felt like years.