Chapter Two: Chill Factor

The next day

"So here's the plan," Jeffrey said, eyeing his clipboard. "This is gonna take longer than your usual two-day shoot because of the different locations and weather and appearances you guys are trying to fit in here in Chicago. What we're here to do now is hammer out the concept so we're all on the same page. Also so that we can fill Madeline in here. Joey, you wanna start?"

"Well," Joey began, feeling very businesslike. "Most of the video we're all walking around in winter scenes, individually and as a group, but there's a little story line that we flash to, and that's you, Madeline, and Justin. He looks forlorn ..."

Justin made a puppy-dog face. Madeline rolled her eyes. Joey continued.

"And there are flashback scenes of you two being together, being happy. And at the end ..."

"We don't know what the end is," J.C. finished. "We thought we'd shoot it both ways and see which is better."

"What are the two endings?" Madeline inquired.

"He's either going to be thinking on a dock or a bridge or somewhere else scenic, and you're gonna appear and you guys reunite. Or you'll already be there, talking to him, and you walk away."

"Why do I walk away?" Madeline asked.

"That's where Justin's 'made a mistake' factor comes in. He dumps you, you walk away and he wants to stop you but he doesn't."

"Great, I get dumped."

"Hence, he is forlorn," Justin added.

"So that's where we stand," Lance said. "Happy ending, sad ending. It's like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure.' Maybe we should have a contest and let the fans decide."

"Yeah, but then they may request our little Justin here to do some unsavory things," Chris responded. "It has to be a PG-rated video."

Everyone laughed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So you've done this before, have you?" Justin asked Madeline as they unwrapped their sandwiches in the conference room.

"Music videos? Nah. This is my first," the girl responded, taking a sip of her soda.

"No. Acting, I mean," Justin said.

"Yep. All through high school, and a little in college, plus some summer-stock youth-performance stuff," Madeline replied.

Justin swallowed his bite. "Done a lot of romantic stuff in them?" he asked curiously.

"Some." She thought. "It's not my favorite thing in the world to kiss a stranger in front of a room full of people, but the scenes are nice. You can really pretend to be in love."

"Is it hard to draw that line? With all the words and acting and stuff ... does it translate off-stage?"

Madeline paused and looked at him briefly for the first time.

"Sorry," Justin apologized uneasily. "Is this getting too personal?"

"I thought you'd acted before," she said without a smile.

" 'The All-New Mickey Mouse Club,' " he cracked. "Not much romantic action going on there."

She turned back to her food. "That must have been difficult for you."

Justin's eyes narrowed. He wasn't used to such blunt comments. For crying out loud, I'm just trying to make conversation, he thought sullenly.

"Well," he finally said. "At least we don't have any gooey lines or kissing scenes. We just have to look sweetly at each other."