Chapter Eight: Out of Character

Two figures stood on the bridge as far apart as possible, turned away from one another, unable to digest the thick tension in the air.

They'd kept their distance at the restaurant, focusing their attentions on the others' conversations. Neither of them contributed a word, however; both were still lost in their own thoughts.

Appropriately, crew members were setting the stage for the breakup scene, the final piece of the video, marking the end of Madeline's acting – and writing – project.

It could not come soon enough. Madeline spent most of dinner berating herself for disobeying her own rules and letting him get to her. She couldn't wrap her mind around it. Her master plan – her simple plan – had buckled under a persistent word and a touch from him. That's all it took, she thought, shaking her head. She also couldn't believe she'd confessed feelings she could barely acknowledge to herself.

Something had happened between them. It was true. And now there was a mess.

Madeline wrapped her coat tighter around herself, wondering what Justin was doing ten feet away; if he was watching her or not. She resisted the urge to look.

A plan was taking shape in Madeline's mind. Its kernel had formed as she munched on French fries an hour ago.

Abandoning the assignment now wouldn't bring favor to Justin's eyes. It was too little, too late; she should have done the smart thing and pull out of the story as soon as they'd begun a friendship. But instead she'd held out and boxed herself into a corner. And the next few days had snowballed so quickly that she wasn't sure at what point she realized how strongly Justin was affecting her.

The story no longer posed an ulterior motive in Madeline's actions. But it would appear to be, no matter how well she explained it to him.

There was, however, one way to fulfill her responsibility and not betray the band – at least on paper – at the same time. Her mind began to churn.

Madeline rubbed her temples with her fingers and closed her eyes momentarily. The tender moment in the trailer came rushing back to her. Her lids flew open, trying to erase the image. I can't believe I let that happen.

And in the midst of flying sparks, she tried to tell Justin the truth. She still owed it to him. It's gone far enough, Madeline thought mournfully. At least it will end on an honest note.

He was never hers to begin with, and there was no longstanding friendship to shatter. If they simply parted ways and disappeared, she would have to accept that.

She would try to tell him again. Madeline sighed and began to walk toward Jeffrey's chair.

She was uncomfortable telling the truth. But she was more uncomfortable with the lie.

And most of all, she was uncomfortable with the chaos of feelings brewing inside her, fighting to break her surface.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A lot of good this did, Justin thought.

He had done whatever came naturally. Pushing the confrontation until she cracked. Reaching his hand to her. He'd worked too hard this week to see her get away with an easy explanation.

Well, I got my answer, he thought ruefully as he threw a stone into the icy water. And she's managed to push me away yet again.

He knew. He was almost positive before she admitted the mutual attraction, and absolutely certain when he saw her reaction to his touch. Justin's insights had been right.