Chapter Thirteen: When She Comes My Way

He had to have heard wrong. Slowly, Justin turned around to see Lance staring into the conference room, open-mouthed. Then Lance yelped, "What in the ..." and rushed into the room.

Justin strode back down the hall, feet trying to keep up with his racing heartbeat. The others looked at one another in confusion.

She was hugging Lance and laughing. Her hair was a little shorter, skin a little tanner. They started jabbering at the same time and realized they couldn't hear what the other was saying. Finally she placed her hands on both sides of his face and proclaimed, "What a great going-away present!"

It was then that Madeline looked up and saw Justin.

The partygoers were beginning to disperse, returning to their daily work. Ron put a hand on her shoulder, wishing her luck. She nodded faintly but barely heard him; the blood was roaring in her ears.

Her energy the last few months had been concentrated on picking up the pieces and starting over. She hadn't been in touch with Emma and Lance, thinking it would be easier on her as she juggled the changes. She'd made no indication of her situation to them, but hoped to re-establish contact when life was in order. Madeline had a lot on her mind: Leaving the school she loved and transferring to the more-affordable UCLA, half an hour from her parents but far enough to warrant a dorm room; new classes and new major. Being away from Chicago, making new friends.

All while trying to forget a teen idol who now turned white at the very sight of her.

What a complicated life I lead, she thought wryly. I work so hard to get past him and that's when he decides to appear again. Right when I'm moving on. Next time, Madeline, you gotta pick people who can't fly everywhere so easily.

Her first instinct was to bolt out the door. But it was too late to pretend she hadn't seen him, and there was nowhere to hide. She was unprepared to face him now, after all this time.

After what seemed like an eternity, she took a deep breath. "Hello, Justin."

His throat was dry. He swallowed. "Hey, Madeline." My God, she looks great.

"Been a long time." I hate this. I hate being so awkward.

"Yeah. A long time." She certainly looks like she's moved on.

"Your hair is blond again," she observed. Why is our small talk always centered around his hair?

"Yeah." Say something meaningful, you idiot.

She wasn't sure what to say next.

"I'm gonna take off," Lance said, who had been observing the interaction. He glanced from one face to the other. "Madeline, we were gonna put your face on a milk carton. I'm glad we found you. Justin, we'll wait for you downstairs."

Justin nodded, still looking at her.

"So ... you're the guest of honor here?" he asked in a voice not his own.

"One of them," she replied, waving into the empty room. "There are three of us interns who rotate companies with another group of interns. I've been working here since the summer."

"I see." Justin nodded. "Well, I'm glad we found you," he said, then realizing he'd just repeated Lance's words.

"I didn't know I was lost."

Justin gave a small smile, and Madeline felt her cheeks beginning to warm.

"You were to us," he said softly.

She didn't know how to decipher this, so she glanced furtively around the room and fidgeted with the edge of her shirt. "I should go," she said tentatively. "It's my last day but I still have lots of work to do."